Instant Pot Vanilla Extract
Vanilla extract is a welcome gift any time of the year, and especially during the holidays. The instant pot decreases the waiting time to use the vanilla extract from 2 months to about 2 weeks. Homemade extract is significantly cheaper than store-bought.
The 6 quart pot will hold 3 pint jars, so this recipe can be tripled.
Store the vanilla in a dark place. It will last indefinitely.
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 16 ounces
- 5-6 grade B vanilla beans
- 2 cups 80-proof vodka
- 1 pt Mason jar
- Make sure your equipment is clean. Wash the jars and lids in hot soapy water and rinse well. Pour boiling water in the jars and over the lids. Keep the water in the jars until you are ready to use them.
- Cut the vanilla beans in half with a sharp knife.
- Then cut lengthwise, leaving one inch intact.
- Empty the water from the jars. Put the vanilla beans in the jar.
- Add the 2 cups of vodka.
- Put the lid on the jar and then the ring. Tighten only until you feel resistance. Do not over tighten.
- Put one cup of water in the instant pot. Add the trivet.
- Put the jar on the trivet.
- Set the pressure cooker to 30 minutes on high pressure.
- Unplug the cooker and let it come to a natural release.
- Remove the jar, and swirl lightly to release more vanilla seeds.
- Cool overnight on a rack. It is best to wait about two weeks to use it.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!