Uses for Vanilla Extract

The essence of the vanilla bean has a wonderful smell and flavor. There are a variety of ways to use it. This is a guide about uses for vanilla extract.

When we were first married, an ice storm hit our area while we were away. We returned home to find our new freezer full of spoiled shrimp and venison. The smell was horrible! I tried everything to get the odor out, but nothing worked.

I recently inherited a piece of furniture that had unfortunately been in a fire; nothing was wrong with the dresser other than the smell of smoke. My colleague told me to try this, and it worked wonders at eating the odor! Take a paper towel, dampen it and sprinkle with vanilla extract; place in a small container. I took the container and put it in the drawers, one at a time, for about three days. It worked great!

By Brianna Southworth from Dutch Harbor, AK

If your salsa is a little too hot for your taste, add a few drops of vanilla extract. It will turn down the heat.

By Marnita from Cumming, GA

To get rid of nasty smells in the fridge or freezer, dirty ashtrays and musty closets, and/or smoky cars or trucks, soak a cotton ball with vanilla and let sit over night. This really works. I tried it in our camper fridge, from a smelly fishing trip and it got rid of the smell, I also got rid of the stale campfire smell in the camper. I just put a couple of cotton balls soaked in vanilla on a couple pieces of foil, and the next day the odors were gone.

By Rose