Investing in Antiques

Category Investing
items outside a second hand store
Understanding what kind of vintage items will gain in value for you is important, when considering this kind of investment. This is a guide about investing in antiques.

Way before vintage was such a big "industry" I have loved old clothes, jewelry, furniture, and other collectibles! There are many advantages to buying/using vintage items. One is the quality of the item (better quality items last longer) and the interesting style options available at a reasonable price. But don't forget another benefit, "resale"!

You can have those items, use them,then pass them on. This is easier and easier now that you can selling vintage on eBay or even Etsy. It's quite likely you will turn a profit; some of my furniture is has been zero sum since I could easily get as much for those pieces as I had paid for them. This means I used the items for years, gratis. How often can you say that about something from Target or even Ikea? My vintage jewelry collection is something that I can sell off in my old age, when I am no longer wearing any of it and that's a comfort!

By pamphyila from L.A., CA

If you watch the Antiques Road Show, etc. on TV you will see that things with some slight damage go way down in value, so you might be able to acquire a slightly used version of something you would like at a price range you could afford and then fix it up. Trust me, very few people will know the difference.

By Pamphyila from Los Angeles