Jammy Roast Chicken Recipe
Diamond Post Medal for All Time! 1,246 Posts
September 5, 2017
I don't know if other people make chicken like this but I came up with this recipe when I ran out of things to cook with. Smeared with my favorite breakfast jams, I was a bit nervous about how this chicken would come out. Thankfully, it was one of the most delicious sweet and savory roast chickens ever. I hope you try this!
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 whole raw chicken (around 4 or 5 pounds)
- 1/3 cup berry jam
- 1/3 cup marmalade
- 2 Tbsp grainy mustard
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F. Mix together the jam, marmalade, and one of the tablespoons of mustard in a bowl.
- Make tiny slits in the chicken skin around the breast and thighs. Lift skin all around and sprinkle with salt and pepper inside and out.
- Spoon the jammy mustard mixture under the lifted skin, around the breast, drums, thighs, and on the backside.
- Use your fingers to massage the mixture into the chicken from over the skin.
- Place the chicken face down on a roasting pan or pyrex dish. Bake for about 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the oven and pour the chicken juice out into a little saucepan. Flip the chicken over so the breast side is up. Return to oven and bake for 20 more minutes.
- To make the glaze, add the other tablespoon of mustard to the chicken juices and bring to a boil at high heat.
- When it reaches a boil, set heat to low and let simmer until it reduces by half its volume.
- When the chicken is done (internal temperature will be 165F), remove from the oven. Add the last of the juices and scrapings to the reduction sauce.
- Serve chicken with reduction sauce and whatever sides you like. Enjoy!
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.