Japanese Omurice Recipe

Category Japanese
Delicious and easy to make, Japanese omurice is a wonderful dish for anytime of day. This page contains Japanese omurice recipe.

Omurice is a super simple, comforting, affordable Japanese dish that basically means "omelette rice." It's been a Japanese favorite for over 100 years. Once you try it, you'll see why. It's so easy to make and only has a handful of ingredients.

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 10 minutes

Yield: 2 servings

Source: My mother has made this for me all my life :)

• 2 cups cooked rice
  • 1/4 large onion
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 Tbsp ketchup
  • 1 tsp oil
  • salt and pepper to taste

1. Chop onions. I prefer a small dice.
  2. Heat 1/2 tsp oil in a frying pan to medium heat. Add cooked rice and onions. Add a small sprinkling of salt and pepper. Cook for about 2 minutes.
  3. Add ketchup and fry for a couple more minutes. Remove from pan.
  4. In a bowl, whisk eggs and add a pinch of salt.
  5. Heat remaining 1/2 tsp to the pan on medium heat and pour in eggs. Cook as if you were cooking a regular omelette. If you like yours fully set, keep mixing the middle of the omelette with your spatula and circle the pan around to get the uncooked portions to cook in the middle.
  6. When egg is almost set, pour the rice mixture on top of it.
  7. Starting from one side of the omelette, pull one side over the rice and start rolling it out of the pan and onto a plate. It will automatically be in an oval shape.
  8. Cut a little steam-breather X formation on top.
  9. Add a dollop of ketchup on top if you like. Enjoy!

Yes, I'll have the omelette, s'il vous plaît. You can keep the radish.

I'll happily keep the radish. I'm well known with my bandmates as "radish breath" AND PROUD! ;)