Keep Birdbath Clean

contest winner icon

I change the water in our birdbath every 3-4 days. To keep moss from building up in the bowl, I brush the bowl good and then tip it up and slosh the dirty water out. Using the hose, I spray the remaining dirty water out and fill it with fresh water. To have the brush handy, I keep it on top of the hose reel.

We've had this birdbath for about 10 years and this is my first year keeping it clean with the brush and it is working very well.

By littergitter from NC

Bluebird enjoying his bath. This is a deep birdbath and the small birds like to get on the cement block I put in the middle as it makes the water shallow for them.

Doves on the birdbath.

I also use a spray bottle of 3% peroxide and water - maybe half and half, to try to get rid of algae and that reddish stuff - maybe mold. I read somewhere that 2-3 pennies in the water discourages algae. Never worked for me, lol.

Thank you Thrifty Fun for the $25.00 check! I'm going to take my husband out and celebrate our 52nd wedding anniversary!

I just happened to capture this picture of a pair of Robins enjoying the birdbath. We had been out of town for 4 days and I had just cleaned it and put fresh water in.

Within 1/2 hour, several birds came to take a dip. It is obvious that they love a clean birdbath. During this hot weather, I had been changing the water at least every other day and some daily. Keeping it clean makes a difference.

In the past I have emptied the water in the birdbath during the winter months because if it freezes it can crack the bowl. The other day I decided to move it closer to the bird feeder where I can see it from the kitchen window. This was a good move.

I discovered that the birds are much more active at the birdbath than they were during the summer months because they are constantly at the feeder and now at the birdbath drinking water. Some of them are even bathing in the water as cold as it is. I'm having so much fun just watching them.

When I see that the temperature is going to drop below freezing, I will empty the water and refill it when the weather is above freezing during the day. I don't think I will have a problem with moss in the birdbath during the cold weather so scrubbing it with a brush should not be needed, I hope. We will see.

Her mate, the male Cardinal, our state bird. Santa needs to bring me a better camera for Christmas!

Splish Splash and I'm a taking a bath! Bluejay enjoying our birdbath.

I took the bowl to the birdbath off the stand and put it on the ground because it makes it much easier to empty the water out when I see that the temperature is going to dip below freezing. I have it close to the bird feeder and since I put it on the ground I am seeing a lot of activity with them drinking water and also bathing even in this cold weather. I don't let the water freeze because then the birds can't get to the water until it thaws.

I "WAS" having a problem with green algae growing on the inside of the bowl. This would start forming about every 3 days, annoying!

(The bird bath is plaster) I put a short piece of copper pipe 5" long or so, in the bowl along with 5 copper pennies. I took care of that problem wonderfully!! NO MORE GREEN!!

Anonymous

Love the pictures you posted of the birds enjoying your birdbath. I also use a brush to clean our birdbath. I also put a little white vinegar in it and I think it helps to keep the water a little cleaner. I'm not very conscientious about cleaning it or filling it. The birds must think I'm a bad caregiver. Even in retirement, I'm a very busy person.

I live in Northeastern Ohio and use a birdbath heater / de-icer when the temps are below freezing so that the birds can have water all-year-round.

Our son likes to garden and has built a pondless waterfall that is very popular with the neighborhood birds. We have a family of robins and they come over every morning and wait until he cleans the birdbath and puts in fresh water. Then and only then will they bathe.

I would love to see a picture of the waterfall.