Keep Cats Out of Outdoor Planters

To keep cats from getting into your outside flower pots or planters, I use wooden shish kabob skewers. Insert with the pointed side up into your outside planters or flower pots and cats will think twice about getting into them again. Simple and it works!

That is a good tip. I advise people all the time to do something similar. Plant dollar tree forks, tines up, in the dirt. Also, sprinkle in some citronella, also available at the dollar tree, or dried lemon peels. They hate lemons.

Initially, when I first heard of this, I thought it was a good idea too. It ended up that one of my cats jumped into the pot, the bamboo skewer went clear through her paw. Her weight pushed the skewer to the bottom of the pot, breaking the skewer off even with the bottom of her paw and only sticking up on top about a quarter of an inch; she had longer fur, so it wasn't noticeable. I found it a few weeks later, after her skin healed around the skewer, making it difficult and painful to remove. Luckily, no infection set in! She could easily have lost part of her leg over this hint. Does it sound like a good idea now?

I put the skewers point down because I didn't want to hurt anyone's pet, especially my own klutzy cat. They still are in the way and discourage just the same.

I have also covered my houseplants and outdoor containers with small river rocks. That discourages digging and is more attractive than skewers.

We've had good luck using the water bottle method. Every time the cat got near the plant, we would spray her with the water. She saw the bottle and associated it with being sprayed. Any time we left the house, we put the spray bottle in front of the plant and she left the plant alone.

This also worked when she was scratching the back of the couch.

Glad your cat survived Susanmajp but how painful! I couldn't do this to any animal. I'd rather lose the plant. I use rocks too.
Marg from England.

I use pine cones. They're natural, look good, help a bit to hold in soil moisture and they're free.