Keeping Couch Cushions From Sliding

Category Repair
Sometimes loose cushions can move when you don't want them to. This guide is about keeping couch cushions from sliding.

I love this couch and it folds out into a fantastic guest bed. I tried every trick in the book to prevent the couch cushions from slipping; rubber matting, velcro, etc., but nothing worked. This is my solution. It may not look the best but it works perfect.

The two loops of fishing rope are tied to the couch frame under the cushions at the back and keep the curtain pole in place! :) Of course you could use a darker pole and rope to match I just used what i had lying about.

While I'm here, I would just like to add that I machine wash and air dry my leather cushions with no problem.

Top Comment

You could also use shelf liner that is made from rubber, I use it for my mattresses. Also there is a rubberized rug mat that you can use. It is placed under rugs to keep them in place. Just cut the size you need and place it under the cushions.

This is a rubber/non adhesive grip liner. It's found at any hardware store with the contact paper. It worked wonders for our brand new slippery couch cushions. It won't damage furniture. Just roll it out on the base of sofa and replace cushions. Problem solved. We used 16 inch width.

How do I keep my couch cushion from sliding? It came with Velcro strips, but it still slides.

By Wilma from OH

Answers

Best Answer

If possible, try Velcro on the underside of the cushions. You can buy sticky velcro, and it shouldn't show once installed.

Best Answer

There are rubber type shelf liners you can find anywhere from your local dollar store to Target to Home Depot. In the past, I've cut them up and placed them between the couch and couch cushions and wallah, no more problems. I'd go with the thicker liners over the thinner ones as they hold better. Good luck.

The cushions at the base of my sofa keep sliding out.

Answers

I use rubber anti slip pads. I get them from my local home improvement shop.

You can put a couple of those square things that people use to remove jar lids under the cushions

Maybe you could put a thin egg crate mattress under the cushions.

You can use drawer/shelf liners (Dollar Tree has them in rolls) and just cut to size and adjust when necessary.

Attach velcrove strips onto your couch and cushions that should keep it in place.

Do you know the rubber carpet pads that they put down under your carpet. I have found this works the best. Especially if you can turn your cushions over. Place the pad on the couch and cut it to your length. Now place your cushions on top. This should work great for you. I have done it on several couches.

Non-slip Rubber. You can find them at your Dollar Store/Dollar Tree

I have a couch and love seat with cushions that slide forward when we sit on them. I've tried bed sheets, foam sheets as well as non slip rubber pantry liners. They all roll up instead of keeping cushions in place.

Jennifer from Snellville, GA

Answers

Stacey, velcro worked for me.... You can buy button sized peel and stick velcro.

After reading the comments from others on the slipping couch cushions. I had some spare rubber place mats that I found to use under the cushions. Thanks for the information. Hopefully it works..

it's the edges that aid the rubber mat to roll up. If you thread the sides or tape just the edges, like piping, then it doesn't roll up.

Use 20 inch wide rubbery shelf liners under cushions to keep them from moving on furniture.

Source: A friend.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

I have a couch that has six cushions, 3 for the back and 3 for the seat. Every time you sit they move! How can I secure them?

Sheri from Harrisburg, PA

Answers:

Couch Cushions Keep Moving

Try the no slip padding that you can buy to put under throw rugs so they won't slip on floors. (07/31/2007)

By jean

Couch Cushions Keep Moving

I had this problem with my dining room chairs until a friend suggested to be to get some under pads that are sold with throw rugs to keep them from slipping. I cut the rug sized pieces of rubber into cushion-sized pieces and it works very well to hold the cushions in place. (08/01/2007)

By Stella

Couch Cushions Keep Moving

Use Velcro. One or two strips of hook side on the couch itself, and one or two strips of loop side on the cushion. Can be hot glued on or use a stitch or two with an upholstery needle. (08/02/2007)

By Stacey

Where can I find rubber foam matting to prevent cushions from slipping off a leather sofa?

By Shama

Answers:

Cushions Slide Off Sofa

Not sure about what kind of rubber foam you are looking for, but an upholstery shop would be able to help. If you cushions are not reversible you could attach Velcro to the bottom of the cushions and the bed of the couch perhaps. Good luck. (04/12/2010)

By latrtatr

Cushions Slide Off Sofa

You might try placing the mesh looking rubbery shelving liner made by Rubber-Maid under the cushions. You can often find it on sale. I have used it to keep a cotton rag rug from slipping so much on a linoleum floor and it worked for that. Try buying just one roll to start with and if it doesn't work you can always use it for shelving or drawer liners ;-) (04/13/2010)

By Deeli

Cushions Slide Off Sofa

Try an outdoor/camping supply place like Academy Sports ( Or Sports Academy Not sure but seen them there once)they used to have all kinds of foam mats to use while camping and such. Hope this helps (04/13/2010)

By laura343

I have a sofa and love seat that the cushions slide off of whenever someone sits on it. Then I have to lift the pillowtop back to slide the cushions up under it and back into place. This becomes very upsetting when it has to be done so often. Any solutions?

Thanks,
Nelwyn from Bunkie, LA

Answers:

Cushions Slide Off Sofa

If possible, try Velcro on the underside of the cushions. You can buy sticky Velcro, and it shouldn't show once installed. (06/09/2006)

By Jess

Cushions Slide Off Sofa

I had this problem too and found rubber rolled mats at the dollar store, they are used to keep things from sliding in the cabinets, but I found they work great to keep the cushions from sliding. (06/09/2006)

By Terry R

Cushions Slide Off Sofa

You can also use thin sheets of foam rubber. I use this to keep my top mattress on the box springs. Works like a charm.
(06/10/2006)

By Ellen

Cushions Slide Off Sofa

The cushions of my leather sofa slip-slide, too. I tried bathtub decals that keep you from slipping in the bathtub. It did "not" work. (06/10/2006)

By Cheryl from MO

Cushions Slide Off Sofa

I agree with the duck Contact paper (it is thick and washable) that you use to line cabinets/drawers. I even use it on the top of my fridge and the tank of my toilets. I had one under the keyboard of the computer for awhile, but my baby took off with it too many times. (06/10/2006)

By camo_angels