Keeping Cutoff Jeans from Fraying

Category Clothing
Cutoff jeans have been popular off and on for decades. They are a great way to recycle an old pair of jeans, but they will fray. This is a guide about keeping cutoff jeans from fraying.

How do you keep cut-off jeans from fraying? I love to turn my worn out jeans into shorts for the summer, but do not like the little strings that come when it starts to fray. I would love to know if there is a way to stop this from happening.

By McCollonough from TN

Answers

I have heard of something called "fray check" or something like that, that can be bought in fabric stores or departments. I have never looked for it, because I am old enough that I do things the old fashioned way, like I was taught in home ec classes. When I cut jeans off for my grandkids, I go the extra step and hem them.

Cut-offs are supposed to have that frayed look. Just cut off the white strings which come loose after laundering.

It will stabilize and stop fraying after a while.

Dritz Fray Check is what Redhatterb was talking about. It can be found in most sewing supply stores. I got mine at Hobby Lobby. It comes in a small 3/4 oz bottle but will last a long time as it doesn't take much to do the job.

Use fabric glue or I know when I was young and when there's a ladder on my stocking I use to apply natural nail polish or you can machine stitch above the fraying part of the jeans to stop it from going further.