Keeping Roly Polies as Pets

With roly poly reproduction, won't the habitat setup soon be overpopulated? I would want to keep them all.

Is this a habitat you made or one you bought? I have seen a commerical one that recommends you only start with 15 bugs and it also indicated that it was for short time use (several months). I assumed that was so that it would not be overcrowded.

I haven't chosen a habitat yet. It will probably be a five gallon tank. I would like to keep them all in one tank for their lifetime, but if they are going to overpopulate, I probably not get them.

There are too many hungry birds for the garden. I would like to keep them with me.

They are good for the garden. Perhaps you could give them away if there are too many?

Thank you. I know of a miniature shrimp species who will also not overpopulate their habitat. I will look into it.

There are certain sorts of animals that only reproduce commensurate to the space around them. That means that they will instantly sense the boundaries of their enclosure and reproduce accordingly. And if this is not the case and they do overproduce, then the population will instantly self-correct itself through a massive dieoff.

If you are worried about this, you could start with just 12. That way it will take a long time for the population to grow.

Here's a nice link with more info animals.mom.me/care-rolypoly-8019.html

It will take awhile but yes