Keeping Toddlers Occupied

Category Activities
These young people have a short attention span, but are capable of learning and doing many things. This guide is about keeping toddlers occupied.

Back when my son was in band and my youngest child was very small, we spent a lot of time at the football field. Our daughter would get so bored and would be a real nuisance.

We are going to my grandmother's for Thanksgiving and I have two small children, 2 and 4. Does anyone have any ideas of how to keep them occupied in a home filled with nic nacks so they won't hurt themselves or destroy anything?

By Natalie

Answers

Anonymous

Hi Natalie,
When my son Matt was small he used to enjoy playing with boxes and cartons. Just before one Christmas I made him a caterpiller out of an egg box. I cut it in 2 and joined both pieces, drew a face on the first container and threaded a length of wool through it. He played with it for hours and on Christmas Day after he'd opened his presents came up to me and asked me to make him another caterpiller! I also used to find 'Sesame Street' held his attention while I had a rest! Best wishes - have a happy Thanksgiving

- Sandra (UK)

Anonymous

I always bring a bagful of tupperware like containers, and "safe to play with" utensils. That way they can pretend to be cooking while everything is going on. It usually keeps the little ones occupied.
- Mary - St. Louis, MO

I keep my kids occupied by bring there on toys or make something with them.

My parents have a house full of pricey antiques and glass tables. Between us, my sister and I have 6 children, including 4 rambunctious boys. My sister hit the Goodwill and got a couple games and some toys that are kept at Grandma's house. We make a big fuss about the special toys and they are far more interesting than the nick-knacks. We also try to confine them to one of the safer rooms in their house.

When I was a kid, we used to play with my mom's old Barbies at my Grandparents. Unfortunately we destroyed the like new original Barbie and Ken in their boxes. Goodwill is probably a better choice. :)