Keeping Your Dog From Being Bored

Keeping your pet occupied with proper exercise and satisfying toys can help them maintain their health. This guide is about keeping your dog from being bored.

I need suggestions on how to keep my Collie from getting bored. She gets lots of attention, but she has started licking her leg and now has a granuloma. That's where she has licked all the hair off in one spot. The vet said this is due to boredom. Help.

By Barbara C

Answers

Exercise is the best remedy. Find your local dog park and set time aside every day to walk your dog. If you dont have a dog park, walk with him for at least 45 minutes a day.

Exercise - regular exercise. If you have a yard for him to play in, then play with him. Run him along the beach or around the park. Chase a ball - anything that will burn up some energy. Just like humans they need to burn their stress off.

I have a one year old Siberian husky and this summers heat wave has made me get very creative for her. I give her lots of toys and rotate them so she doesn't have the same ones all the time. She loves the KONG toys which I fill with peanut butter and she has to lick out which is a challenging activity to keep her busy. I let her play in a plastic kiddie pool in the yard because she loves water. On top of her normal run, play time and meal times this keeps her pretty happy. Good luck