Activities to Overcome Boredom

The funny or not so funny thing about being bored is how difficult it can be to break out of it and get going. This is a guide about activities to overcome boredom.

What do you do when you get bored? I get bored easily; I try to sew, or go fishing, or walking. I need something new to do. I'm always bored.

By Mary from small town OK

Answers

Hello! I am so anti boredom! I hate it because I feel like I'm wasting my time when I'm bored. I spin yarn, which is soooo interesting and fun, as well as knit, sew dolls and all kinds of things!

Go to swapbot.com and look around. It takes a minute to figure out what's going on, but is great fun and a good challenge when you get going! Also, ravelry.com if you know how or would like to learn to knit and crochet! Huge community of fiber artists there! Hope that helps! Betsy

I don't have time to get bored, I always keep busy and find something to do. My husband and I are very active in our church. I try and exercise 3 or more times per week by walking on the treadmill. We are very active with Vietnam Veterans of America and I make and donate hand-crafted items every year for their annual scholarship spaghetti dinner. I'll be starting on next years projects very soon.

I've crocheted six six lap afghans and have donated them to a V.A. Hospital. My husband and I borrow DVD movies from our public library and we watch them at night on our computer. We're also active members of a senior citizen group. I'm busier now being retired, then when I was in the working world.

Do you have a garden?I stay busy with mine & other things,we live in the city & made a raisedbed garden that will last a life time,I grow fresh veggies all the time also have lot of flowers,I share both with friends & neighbors,I also walk at least a mile every day & get to know people in our sub division.

I do lot of research online & watch the Dr's shows ,the ones you can ask question online & learn something about how to eat right & etc,I never watch soaps, just want to learn all I can about how to stay healthy & not gain wt & to keep our sugar down with out meds. You can also go visit the sick in hospitals & nursing homes. Just ask at the front desk who needs visitors. They'll be very proud to see anybody, good luck.

Thank you I got some new ideas this really helps I hate being bored!

I pick up litter while out walking. I walk the road in my community about once a week and this keeps it looking nice. With my reach extender, I can grab a cigarette butt and put it in the bag and not even break my stride. To me, that's fun! Picking up litter is good exercise and much easier than housework.

I have some other great places to walk and I do try to walk most every day. Walking makes me feel good. When I don't walk, I feel sluggish.

Getting outside gives me a boost. Keeping my community clean gives me pride and the personal satisfaction is rewarding. I very seldom get lonely, bored or depressed.

If you want to make a difference and keep your neighborhood litter free and you don't want to do it alone, grab a friend and clean up a spot and keep it clean. It will not take long for you to feel ownership and be obsessed with picking up litter.

Find craft projects, there is scrapbooking, reading, embroidery, making greeting cards. I can find all kinds of things to do. Right now my main thing is scrapbooking and reading. Next week I will do a little sewing, then in the middle of the week put everything away to start making room for Easter company.

My parents and I play solitair. We know 4 different games. One person deals out the cards and the other two kibitz. Its a fun quick way to kill some time.

Hi, Mary. I'm in Oklahoma, too. :-) It sounds like you don't have any problems getting out and about, so I'd suggest finding ways to volunteer in your community. I volunteer at my daughter's school several times a week. Even if her teacher is all caught up, the library always has books that need to be shelved. There are other places that would love to have some help, any day of the week.

I'm hoping we're all finished with snow for the season. It's time to get back into the yard and start battling those weeds! I take a radio out with me and try to find a talk show to listen to. If I don't like any of the talk shows, I can listen to my MP3 player. My mom loves her MP3 player, too. I put a bunch of audio books onto hers, so she can work and listen at the same time.

I hope you find something that occupies your time. Best of luck!

What do I do now that I am retired and bored?

By Carol