Keeping Your Bathroom Sink Clean

Category Bathroom
Keeping your bathroom sink clean between thorough cleanings can seem daunting. However, there are some tips you may find useful. This is a guide about keeping your bathroom sink clean.

By natural inclination and choice, I keep a tidy and very clean house. For sanitary reasons I pay particular attention to the germy areas, being the kitchen and bathroom. I was unpleasantly surprised several weeks ago to see for myself that my bathroom drain hole was gross, there being no other word for it.

The sink had a pop up stopper for opening and closing the drain hole and it's been there for several years.

In an un-Einstein moment I forgot to close the sink one day as I was putting in my hard contact lenses and needed to remove the stopper and p-trap to get access to my lens. Heck, my lenses cost $150 each and there was no way I was going to lose it if I could help it.

I got the stopper out, the p-trap opened and with a pail under the open pipe, I flushed water through. My lens came out unscathed and I was super pleased. I wasn't so pleased though about the gunk that also came through.

Looking at the stopper that lay on the vanity counter and down the sink drain hole, I saw that they were black, slimy, and thoroughly unhygienic. I cleaned them both with an old toothbrush and it was gross. I couldn't believe it because I always run clean water through the sink when I use it and presumed that the inside was clean. Wrong presumption, obviously.

I decided not to put the pop up sink insert back in. I bought an old fashioned rubber stopper at Home Depot and it works fine. Now, once a week when I give the sink a good cleaning, I use an old toothbrush to clean the drain hole too.

I'm thinking that the pop up stoppers may look good, be convenient, etc. but it and the drain hole itself don't ever completely dry out. They're not exposed to much air, hence the accumulated unhygienic black slime. No more pop up stoppers for me.

I'm thinking that for those of you who do prefer them, it might be a good idea to periodically remove the stopper and give it and the drain hole a toothbrush cleaning. All it would take is 15 minutes to make your sink sparkle in places you don't see.

Something to think about.

Source: Learning new things every day

Between making pottery, gardening, and car repair, we always had a dirty sink shortly after cleaning it. I found that if I wipe the sink in the bathroom with a dry washcloth after using, it stays cleaner looking longer. It only takes a few seconds but extends the "clean" for a long time. This will save money on cleaning supplies and keep things looking better longer.

By Jennifer from Gilbertsville, NY