HealthDogs

Keeping a Dog from Scratching a Growth in His Ear

My Larry, a rescue, has a large non malignant growth in his ear. He is too old for surgery and the vet isn't sure it would help anyway. About every 6 months we go to the vet as it's infected again from scratching with his dirty back feet. We've tried a cone, nail caps, antibiotic cream, prednisone, itch cream, and watching him, but he continues to scratch. My curtains and bedspread look like a murder scene with scabs everywhere. Any ideas? PS. He really is a scaredy cat and traumatizes easily.

Thank you.

Best Answer

Hi,

I would try to get the dog a prescription for a pain reliever. This would help the dog not be so miserable with scratching. When a dog itches or scratches, it is usually due to pain, and I would not be surprised if the non-malignant tumor is bothering him, by causing him pain.

If you can't get a pain prescription from the vet, then I would find a vet that will be willing to remove the growth. The dog would be happier and less likely to keep on developing an infection.

If this does not work out, I would ask the vet what kind of dosage of aspirin would be best for your dog, to relieve him of his pain.

Here is a link which discusses aspirin and the type not to give:

www.akc.org/.../

Blessings and prayers for your dog.

Please post back any updates, if you like, so we can keep up.

Robyn

Poor Larry!! I will send up lots of prayers for him.

It sounds like you have tried everything under the sun. The only suggestion I have is just to keep his "scratching paws" as clean as possible to try to reduce the dirt getting into the open wound. As soon as the wound opens, use whatever antibiotic cream the vet gave you.

Hopefully that will reduce the infections.

Post back how he is!! Poor baby!! I hope he stays well!! Hugs to him!!

Would any form of dog clothing, or customized clothing piece you can sew/alter/make to hopefully stay in place and can heal properly?

Have you tried coconut oil? It is soothing and moisturizing.

here are some things that help humans with growths and whatnot, but am not certain re dogs

- honey, especially manuka honey, is soothing to the skin and antibacterial

- a poultice made from bentonite clay and apple cider vinegar

- tea tree oil mix: 5 drops tea tree oil, 5 drops clove oil, all mixed in a teaspoon of olive or other oil

- soaking the area with warm water/Epsom salt mixture

generally nnatural remedies work well with dogs

best of luck!

I think I would get a second opinion from another Vet. I just doesnt seem right to let this dog continue this way. Poor guy.

Pets Dogs HealthFebruary 27, 2019
🎃
🎂
🌻