Killing Weeds and Not the Moss

I have lovely green moss of some kind volunteering in my sandstone patio in the hot, afternoon sun. Unfortunately I also have dandelions and other weeds cropping up, even right in the midst of the moss. Can I kill the weeds without killing the moss, and if so, how? Pulling the weeds is a full-time job!

By Julie L.

You are just going to have to bite the bullet here. Most broadleaf weed killers will also damage and perhaps kill the moss. You might take a sample of the moss to your local nursery or Cooperative Extension agent to an accurate identification, and then look for a broadleaf herbicide that says it is safe for your particular moss.