CatsPets

Kitten Has Dark Eye Color Rather Than Blue

I have a 4 week old kitten that I'm having to bottle feed because it's a lot smaller and fragile compared to its siblings. I was wondering if there would be any reason it's eyes are not tinted blue like the rest. Its eyes are dark colored.

The kitten has genes from its mother and father. it is not unusual for eye color to differ from the rest of the litter.

Not all cats will have the same colored eyes. As the cat grows their eye color can change. This could be because the cat is smaller or even sick. Give it a bit of time to see if the eyes lighten up a bit. There is really no harm in having the eyes a different color at all. I had a cat that had 1 blue eye and one brown eye. I love that cat.

Kittens blue eyes will naturally begin to change color at around 4 weeks, and gradually become the color they will be for life. There are a couple fairly serious diseases cats get that have eye color change as a symptom. Uveitis causes eye color change.

It is quite painful and needs to be treated right away by a Vet. Feline Leukemia and Feline Infectious Peritonitis (fip) can begin with eye color change. It would be hard to tell if your kitten is just growing up, or is truly sick. You are going to need to see a Vet to know what is really going on.