Ladybug Photos and Information

Category Garden
Coccinellids, which are called ladybugs or ladybeetles are a beneficial garden visitor. These pretty red bugs with their black spots are fun to watch and photograph. This page contains ladybug photos and information.

This past weekend, there was a learning event on lady bugs and a bag of 150 lady bugs complimentary with any purchase at Armstrong Garden Center - limit 1 per family.

Buying or getting lady bugs to put in your garden will be beneficial. Lady bugs eat aphids, mites, and other bugs which will keep your plants, flowers, trees, and garden healthy. Lady bugs also act as pollinators, to move pollen from male flowers to female flowers.

This event is done yearly, so you can check back next year or at other garden centers near you that may participate in this event. Or, you can purchase lady bugs.

Link: https://www.armstronggarden.com/event-calendar/event/eventview/id/135/

I found these creepy little bugs in various states of growth on a rosebush near my front door. I first noticed them when I saw brown spots on a nearby plant. A quick Google search showed me that they are Asian lady beetle larvae. This invasive species has pushed out the native ladybugs throughout North America.

There are two stages of growth. The fuzzy one is a larval stage and the smoother one is a pupa. I saw lots of beetles too, but I couldn't manage to get a picture. They are very round and red at first, but turn orange or yellow with lots of spots.

I killed every one I found and trimmed the rose bush back almost entirely, to remove anything that looked damaged or diseased. There was also this sticky residue with black specks all over. I suspect this is leftovers from the larvae sacks after the metamorphosis into a beetle.

I live in North Wood Iowa and I was wondering if there is a good spot where I can get lady bugs? So if you know how I can find a spot where there are lots of lady bugs then tell me soon please!

Answers

Best Answer

apparently there are lots of ladybugs in Iowa, and the easiest place to find them is actually in autumn/cold months where they congregate on the sides of buildings or wander indoors. In the summer they look to be in natural areas out of doors.

if you are interested in finding ladybugs there is this online initiative to find and track native species ladybugs, whose habits are changing due to climate change and invasion of other species: www.lostladybug.org/

I was wondering how many legs do Asian lady beetles have.

By Crystal

Answers

Hi, insects have 6 legs. Arachnids such as spiders and scorpions have 8 legs. Daddy long-legs have 6 legs and are not spiders, but insects.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

I spied a ladybird on this pretty lilac flower in the garden. It's a seven-spot ladybird. I had to go look up her species to identify her. Isn't Mother Nature colourful.

By Monique

ladybug on purple lilac flower petal

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 16

I was doing a little spring cleaning by washing the inside windows. There he was, this little lady bug. I placed him outside and just had to snap a picture. Not only represents spring time, but perhaps a little luck.

By Kathy Lam

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 13

This Ladybug was on a leaf in my aquarium. Poor little thing had to be "fished" out later when she realized she couldn't swim. I really like the picture. No adjustments were made to it.

Ladybug on Green Leaf

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 21

This little lady was on my door the other day and I had to take a picture, I love ladybugs. Love all the spots! Sorry for calling you a lady if you are instead a gentleman, LOL.

Lady Bug Crawling Away from Camera

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 4

In January of 2017, my home and community was destroyed by a tornado. Hours after the storm, I came across this ladybug. She seemed oblivious to the tragedy that surrounded her.

Her presence restored my faith and hope that our town would (and did!) recover.

A ladybug on a plant.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 2

If you are lucky enough to have some ladybird beetles, aka lady bugs, decide to overwinter in your home this page contains some very helpful tips for making them welcome.

A ladybug on a brown leaf.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Photos GardenAugust 9, 2013
🐛
📓
🌻
😎
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Lady-Bug-Photos-and-Information.html