Clutter ControlOrganizing

Leaving Junk Mail Outside

I live in an apartment down 7 steps. I don't like bringing stuff inside that will end up outside unused and unread. I leave my junk mail in my locked mailbox. Then on recycling day, I empty the mailbox. I was thrilled when I came up with this because I'm handicapped. It's hard taking the recycling up steps anyway.

I'm lucky, I live on the 9th floor of an apartment building but there is a recycling bin right in the mailroom! So people get their mail, toss the junk mail, and only take the "real" mail up to their apartments. If we left mail in the mailbox for a week, the mail carrier would probably have to empty it, place a "mailbox full" notice on it, and take the mail back to the post office for pickup, so having the recycling right there is important for us.

Be sure to remove your real name and address from any advertisements and shred them to protect yourself from identity theft.