Lime Cream Cheese Angel Food Cakes
I recently had a frosted angel food cake for the first time. As much as I adored it, the super tall cake portion with the thinly iced top made for a very uneven fluff to frost ratio. This is my solution to that: mini angel food cakes topped with just enough lime cream cheese frosting so every bite is even. I make one dozen in cupcake tins and one dozen in mini cupcake tins.
Total Time: 50 minutes
Yield: 12 mini cakes and 12 super mini cakes
- 3/4 cup sifted cake flour
- 8 large egg whites
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 cup caster sugar (or pulse regular sugar until fine)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 Tbsp butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 tsp lime zest
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Add egg whites and salt to a large bowl.
- Beat with an electric mixer until frothy.
- Add the cream of tartar.
- Beat the whites until they hold soft peaks.
- Beat in 1/2 cup of the sugar a little at a time.
- Add vanilla and beat.
- Add almond extract and beat.
- Fold in the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar.
- Sift the flour over the whites in a few batches, folding it in with a spatula after each addition.
- Line cupcake tins with liners, then pour batter into each cup, almost all the way up. Bake in preheated oven for about 20 to 25 minutes, until tops are golden and toothpick comes out clean. Let cool.
- To make the frosting, cream the butter and cream cheese together, then mix in powdered sugar a 1/2 cup at a time.
- Add lime juice and lime zest, mix well. If it's too thin, add more powdered sugar. If it's too thick, add more lime juice.
- Frost the tops of the mini cakes.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.