Lip Balm

My lips have been so dry lately and I couldn't find my usual lip stuff. Instead of going out and buying yet another one, I made some. I had all the ingredients, but that's because I make lots of homemade hand salves and foot balms, etc. The most expensive supply is the beeswax. You can buy the beeswax pastilles. I bought a huge 1 pound block with a 60% off coupon at the craft store (for about $5) and I grated it myself. It took some work and I don't recommend using a grater that you want to use again for food (it is hard to clean off). But, it has lasted a long time and I use it a lot. This lip balm worked perfectly. My lips are no longer dry and I saved a few bucks!

Total Time: 10 minutes, plus cooling time

Yield: 3 containers

Source: http://www.everydayroots.com

1. Heat a small pan with about 1 inch of water to simmering. I use an old pot that I don't cook with.
  2. Take a small clean metal can and add the grated beeswax. If you are opposed to using the can, you could use a glass jar. It's hard to clean out, but you could use it over and over again. Add the can or glass jar to the water.
  3. Melt the beeswax about halfway.
  4. Add the coconut oil and honey. Stir with a plastic utensil, chopstick, or Popsicle stick. Once the mix hardens, it's hard to clean off. Use something that you don't mind tossing.
  5. Ad

6. Once melted, carefully take the can out of the pan of water. Use a towel or potholders.
  7. I squish my can so that it has a spout to pour out without getting the mixture all over my counter.
  8. Pour into your containers. I had a couple of old lip stuff containers. I also poured some into a cleaned baby food container.
  9. Ad

10. Don't touch your containers as they cool. It takes about 15 to 20 minutes to harden. Enjoy!

Sounds like a great recipe and idea. However, use an unlined can. The white lining inside cans is unhealthy. You can google information about this.

I love handmade project to that are good for our bodies and cost so little.

You can save yourself the risks of heating the coconut oil on fire. Coconut oil melts at very very low temperature if left in a kitchen or just next to a heater. Actually just holding a glass container of coconut oil in your hand makes the coconut oil melt. Once the coconut is liquid it is very easy to add sunflower oil or almond oil which will provide the vitamin E. I agree with Elizabeth about the inside coating of cans being unhealthy, but the plastic food container should not be used either. Plastic food container are supposed to be used to containe food only from the place of production of the food to your house, it should not be reused. By cleaning it, or pouring hot products in the container you make the plastic release toxic chemicals. Do look for information on plastics, learn to recognizing them from their number, use only plastic numbered 2, 4 and 5 and limit their use to what they are suppose to be able to perform without being dangerous for your health. We have been born in the era of plastic because plastic comes from petrol, let's forget its name, does it sounds safe if you replace the word "plastic" by what it can release in your drink, your food or in the environment : Baby food bisphenol A container ; baby food vinyl chloride container; or baby food phthalates container ?

Top Comment

Just sacrifice a glass jar you will never need to use for anything else. That is much healthier than the can. I've made several lip glosses of varying flavors and ingredients and love the homemade kinds much more than purchased ones. Plus no unhealthy ingredients on your lips! Thanks for the post.