Make a Bicycle Planter

Some months of the year, the garden looks extra dull and brown, especially with our California droughts. My next door neighbour left a bicycle outside with a "Free to take" sign on it. I was initially going to spruce it up for a ride, but soon realized why it was so free to take: it was absolutely trashed. I removed as much rust as I could, and with a little spray paint I had in the garage, I gave it an all-over pop of electric blue. After fully drying, I placed it in an area of the yard where some of the plants needed help standing, and the bike came to their aid as a crutch. I added some mini pots and baskets of flowers, as well. As a finishing touch, I topped it with a flower-pot-girl my friend made. Visitors just love looking at this view when they come over, and I appreciate the extra colour in my life. So next time you see that piece of junk bike that's free to take, remember this tip!

Love it, Love it. Oh, how I wish that I had the space to do something like this too. I also like the old chair planters that some people have in their yards. Eclectic ideas always appeal to me and your bike falls into this category. I once saw an old metal bedframe with a metal headboard and footboard in a garden with scads of varied flowers planted within the bed frame. That was creative too and a pleasure to see.

I thought of you when I was writing this post, Mina! The colours! :)

Hey Toosa, Here's a thought. Imagine a bright yellow vintage bike in another part of the yard with cascading red bougainvillea from the basket.

How cheery that would be !!

OH OH OH I LOVE THAT! Guess what, I have loads of bougainvillea on the side of the house :)

Super cute! I have at least two extra bikes in my back shed that could be used for a project like this. :)

Fantastic! Nothing like extra bikes-- a DIYers dream. Hope you try it!

Very cute touch to your garden!

Thanks, Michelle! Definitely helps the dry look ;)