Making Caramel Apple Jello Shots
This is a page about making caramel apple jello shots
. Try this tasty adult jello treat for a fall gathering.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
This is a great treat for a Halloween party or other fall gathering. The hollowed out apples have a nice tart note and the caramel vodka chocolate jello is very tasty. The presentation is really fun and sure to get attention at a party - and no wasteful plastic containers to deal with!
I made a second non-alcoholic batch using chocolate caramel cocoa powder and more water instead of vodka for the kids. I didn't use yellow food coloring in the non-alcoholic ones to make sure I didn't get them mixed up.
Total Time: 30 minutes (plus minimum of 4 hours to chill)
- 6 -8 granny smith apples
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 3/4 oz. envelope hot chocolate powder (WITHOUT marshmallows)
- 1 1/4 oz. envelope Knox unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 -4 drops yellow food coloring
- 1/2 cup butterscotch schnapps or caramel vodka (I used Smirnoff Kissed Caramel vodka)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (to prevent browning of apples)
- Place lemon juice in a small bowl, and prep the washed apples by slicing each in half from stem to bottom (DO NOT peel). Using the smaller end of a melon scoop, carefully hollow out the inside of the apples, to where you only have approx 1/4 inch outer shell, being careful not to get to close to the outer peel. While carving each apple, dip the hollowed halves in a dish of lemon juice to coat the rim of the apples to prevent browning (you will not taste it). Place each hollowed out half in muffin tins.
- In medium sauce pan, whisk together the cold water and hot chocolate envelope until no clumps are visible. Do not heat yet!
- Once mixed thoroughly, sprinkle the envelope of Knox gelatin over the top and let it sit. Don't stir for 2 minutes.
- Turn your stove top burner to a medium low setting and completely mix in the gelatin, then add the milk and sugar. Slowly bring the mixture to a low simmer a few minutes just until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add food coloring to the color you like.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let sit until it cools to room temperature.
- Once the mixture is room temperature, stir in the alcohol. Mix well.
- Make sure each apple slice is level in the muffin tin, and pour in jello mixture, filling to the very top. Place in fridge for a minimum of 4 hours. (I only let mine sit for 3 hours, because I needed to go to the party, and they weren't "quite" set as well as I would have liked.)
- Once set, remove apples from muffin tins and slice each half into 3-4 wedges, depending on the size of your apples. Plate them on whatever tray you plan to serve on and return, loosely covered, to the fridge. TIP: It is best to cut the apples just before serving, since the freshly cut edges will brown. You can trim off any brown edges before serving.
Here is a perfect adult treat for cool autumn nights, Jello shots flavored with caramel apple. Learn how to make them in this short video.