Making Caramel Apple Jello Shots
This is a page about making caramel apple jello shots
. Try this tasty adult jello treat for a fall gathering.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
This is a great treat for a Halloween party or other fall gathering. The hollowed out apples have a nice tart note and the caramel vodka chocolate jello is very tasty. The presentation is really fun and sure to get attention at a party - and no wasteful plastic containers to deal with!
I made a second non-alcoholic batch using chocolate caramel cocoa powder and more water instead of vodka for the kids. I didn't use yellow food coloring in the non-alcoholic ones to make sure I didn't get them mixed up.
Total Time: 30 minutes (plus minimum of 4 hours to chill)
- 6 -8 granny smith apples
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 3/4 oz. envelope hot chocolate powder (WITHOUT marshmallows)
- 1 1/4 oz. envelope Knox unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 -4 drops yellow food coloring
- 1/2 cup butterscotch schnapps or caramel vodka (I used Smirnoff Kissed Caramel vodka)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (to prevent browning of apples)
- Place lemon juice in a small bowl, and prep the washed apples by slicing each in half from stem to bottom (DO NOT peel). Using the smaller end of a melon scoop, carefully hollow out the inside of the apples, to where you only have approx 1/4 inch outer shell, being careful not to get to close to the outer peel. While carving each apple, dip the hollowed halves in a dish of lemon juice to coat the rim of the apples to prevent browning (you will not taste it). Place each hollowed out half in muffin tins.
- In medium sauce pan, whisk together the cold water and hot chocolate envelope until no clumps are visible. Do not heat yet!
- Once mixed thoroughly, sprinkle the envelope of Knox gelatin over the top and let it sit. Don't stir for 2 minutes.
- Turn your stove top burner to a medium low setting and completely mix in the gelatin, then add the milk and sugar. Slowly bring the mixture to a low simmer a few minutes just until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add food coloring to the color you like.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let sit until it cools to room temperature.
- Once the mixture is room temperature, stir in the alcohol. Mix well.
- Make sure each apple slice is level in the muffin tin, and pour in jello mixture, filling to the very top. Place in fridge for a minimum of 4 hours. (I only let mine sit for 3 hours, because I needed to go to the party, and they weren't "quite" set as well as I would have liked.)
- Once set, remove apples from muffin tins and slice each half into 3-4 wedges, depending on the size of your apples. Plate them on whatever tray you plan to serve on and return, loosely covered, to the fridge. TIP: It is best to cut the apples just before serving, since the freshly cut edges will brown. You can trim off any brown edges before serving.
October 31, 20160 found this helpful
Here is a perfect adult treat for cool autumn nights, Jello shots flavored with caramel apple. Learn how to make them in this short video.