Making Chicken with Garlic Cloves

Category Poultry
This flavorful roast chicken is made with many whole garlic cloves. This page is about making chicken with garlic cloves.

Does anyone have the Richard Simmon's Deal A Meal Cookbook from the 90's? I am looking for a recipe that was in that cookbook. It was Chicken with Garlic cloves. My daughter made it for us when we were visiting. She no longer has the cookbook and we are both searching for the recipe.

If I remember correctly it was Chicken Thighs. What I do remember is that it called for 40 cloves of garlic. I know, that sounds awful, but it is roasted and the garlic turns out to be sweet and delicious. Here's hoping somebody can help with this request.

Harlean from Arkansas (and daughter Robin from Utah)

Answers

Best Answer

hi harlean. i looked on the site suggested above. dont see it.
this is on page 153

friendly garlic chicken

2 lg heads of garlic 40 clove
2 tbls plus 2 tespoon virgin olive oil
8 chicken thighs skinned
1 cup chopped parsley

3/4 tespo salt
fres ground pepper and nutmeg.

preheat oven 375

seperate cloves in saucepan of rapidly boiling water blanch garlic for 30 seconds.
run garlic under cold water. trim tops and bottoms of garlic and slip off skins
pour olive oil into a 3 to 4 quart casserole with tight fitting lid. add garlic and toss to coat with oil. add chicken adn turn to coast with oil. scatter parsley over topp and sprinkle with salt, pepper and nutmeg. bake for 1 hour.
8 servings. 3 meat cards and 1 fat.

hope its good. sounds wonderful

By nancy (Guest Post)
Best Answer

This is another one I found online
HTH, Nancy

Ingredients
2/3 cup olive oil
8 chicken drumstick and thighs (or 16 of either)
4 ribs celery, cut in long strips
2 medium onions, chopped
6 sprigs parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon, or 1 teaspoon dried

1/2 cup dry vermouth
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Pinch nutmeg
40 cloves garlic, unpeeled

Method
1. Put the oil in a shallow dish, add the chicken pieces, and turn them to coat all sides evenly with the oil.

2. Cover the bottom of a heavy 6-quart casserole with a mixture of the celery and onions, add the parsley and tarragon, and lay the chicken pieces on top. Pour the vermouth over them, sprinkle with salt and pepper, add a dash or two of nutmeg, and tuck the garlic cloves around and between the chicken pieces. Cover the top of the casserole tight with aluminum foil and then the lid (this creates an air-tight seal so the steam won't escape). Bake in a 375°oven for 1 1/2 hours, without removing the cover.

3. Serve the chicken, pan juices, and whole garlic cloves with thin slices of heated French bread or toast. The garlic should be squeezed from the root end of its papery husk onto the bread or toast, spread like butter, and eaten with the chicken.

By Guest (Guest Post)

members.tripod.com/.../richfood.htm

You might find it at the link above

Thanks Sandy,
That is the one that I was looking for. I, too, checked out the link, but had already been there before I asked for help. I am going to email it to my daughter in Utah...She will be tickled pink. I talked with her last nite and told her that I had asked the help of "several hundred of my friends".

I know what we are having for dinner tomorrow nite.
Harlean from Arkansas