Making Clothing for Your Dog

Category Miscellaneous

Some pet owners like to dress up their dogs in coats, costumes, and other types of clothing. Rather than buy expensive or poorly made clothing try making your own. This is a guide about making clothing for your dog.

I am looking for information on how to make dog clothes.

By Kathie from Chelan, WA

Answers

The easiest way is to watch for your local craft store such as 'Hobby Lobby' or fabric store such as 'Hancock's' to have a sale on sewing patterns. Watch their Sunday advertisements for the sale, the go look in the clothing pattern books there for a section like crafts or costumes and you'll find lots of patterns for dog clothes.

I bought some that I think were Simplicity patterns, for only 99 cents each recently, and I think McCalls also had lots of pet clothes patterns. Every two or three weeks either a craft store (one that has a sewing fabric section) or a big chain fabric store is having a sale where you can get most of the $16 patterns for a dollar or two. Walmart stores with a fabric section in Crafts has fairly low prices on their patterns all the time if you're in a hurry, but never as low as the 99 cent sales at other stores. If you find that the pattern you buy doesn't fit your particular breed of dog exactly, just lengthen or broaden the pattern the same way you would if it were clothes for yourself. (If you don't know how to change patterns to fit, there are lots of sewing books at your local library). Dog clothes are easiest to make using fleece... very fast, no complicated hemming or seam finishing. :^) I made a small coat for my dog one winter during a snowfall, only took about 20 minutes and a leftover piece of fleece to make it, so it was ready for her next 'walkies' to keep snow from sticking to her long fur. :^)

I agree with CrafterMary. I never pay over $1.99 for them but most of the time get them 99 cents. If you ask to sign up for their brochure, you will get the coupon (if you need one) to use the patterns. Most of them have a 40% off coupon for fabric or notions once a month also, although if you sign up for it, it sometimes takes awhile for it to arrive in the mail. The other alternative is to go online and type in their URL and you can get the offers there.

Depending on the size of the dog, I just go to goodwill, thrift shop and get. Allie is a German short hair. She likes t-shirts and turtle necks. Just shorten the sleeves on the TN and we are in business. For patterns, check out the thrift shops or good will. I always take my 'left over not using ones" to those.

The website, "Bev's Country Cottage", has free patterns, and for pets also! Very user friendly. I am knitting a sweater for my Chihuahua mix from it. she has sizes for all dogs in sewing, knit, or crochet.

I would like to know if anyone has a pattern for making yorki clothes. My daughter just got a yorki and she weighs 5.01 Lbs. I have checked out some of the clothes they sell, the price is insane! If any one can help me out I would like to make her some clothes for her puppy. Thanks.

As soon as I get my digital cam. Fixed I'll send you all a picture of her baby. Her name is Aruba!

Destiny

Answers

Hi I have a little 5 lb. Yorkie myself. I have found that some doll clothes or stuffed animal clothes will fit him. Saves you time sewing. Anyway you can locate some of this at the thrift stores and yard sales. When you find something that fits take it apart and use it as a pattern to make more. Good Luck! V

Hi, I have 2 small Yorkies. Mine weigh in just under 5 lb. I have never tried to make any clothes for them as I have never seen any patterns. But I have found some reasonably priced clothes for them in a catalog that I get or you can shop on line for specials at petedge.com. Look at the clearance specials. Oh, I love her name Aruba! Good luck!

There are patterns in the pattern books for even a wedding dress for any size.

I'm trying to design a classy dress for my large dog, any help? I've got a lot of red silk, and want the dress to compliment that fabric, but still fit my Lab mix. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. I can sew, and design dresses for humans.

By Cassy Bug from Ripley, TN