Making Leaf Stick Puppets

This is a perfect craft for your children and can be made using collected leaves or silk ones. This is a guide about making leaf stick puppets.

This craft is great to use after reading the book, Louie the Leaf, by Jeff VanGetson. The story is about love, family, and friendship and how change is nothing to be afraid of. Children will enjoy making their own "Louie", as well as other characters from the book. One of the best parts about this activity is that children can go on a nature walk to find their leaves! After the puppets are made, the story can be read again, with each child holding their own leaf person. As their character comes up in the story, they can hold up their puppet!

Total Time: 10 minutes, after you have gathered the leaves and twigs

Yield: 1+

Source: Pinterest gave me the general idea, but I added the mouth and arms, as well as the book idea.

• 1 regular or jumbo size Popsicle stick(s) per puppet
  • 2 wiggle eyes per puppet
  • 1 real leaf per (or craft leave if you choose)
  • 1 pom pom per puppet
  • hot glue gun
  • hot glue sticks
  • 1 piece pipe cleaner per (2-3inches)
  • small twigs (optional)
  • Optional:
  • Louie the Leaf (by Jeff VanGetson)

Related Product:

1. Add hot glue to the top of the craft stick. Make a line at least 1 to 1.5 inches long, from the top going toward the middle. Attach your leaf to the glue. Try to get the craft stick in the middle.
  2. Hot glue the wiggle eyes.
  3. Hot glue a pom pom as the nose.
  4. Cut a 2-3 inch piece of pipe cleaner. Form it into a smile and hot glue it to the leaf as the mouth.
  5. Optional: Have children find twigs along their nature walk. Hot glue these to the craft stick, below the leaf to serve as arms.

These are so cute!

I know, right? I love Pinterest and I cannot wait to use this craft when I start teaching again!