Making Marshmallow Peepsters
April 22, 2019
Today was the day before Easter and the store was out of Peeps, of course. I got a big bag of marshmallows instead and used some ingredients on hand to make these to cheer up my dad. (He really, really, likes his Peeps.)
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: a whole bag of large marshmallows should make at least a dozen
- 1 12 oz bag Kraft Jet-Puffed marshmallows
- colored sugar (large granules for cake/cookie decorating)
- small handful chocolate chips
- serrated table-knife
- The idea is that you can cut up marshmallows and use the sticky ends to construct the bunnies. :) Start with three marshmallows. Cut one in half and stick it onto the top of a whole marshmallow. Save back the other half so you can cut a chunk off for the tail.
- This leaves you with one more marshmallow. Cut each end of the marshmallow into slivers and shave off the bottom edge of each sliver so that a sticky side is exposed.
- Carefully sprinkle colored sugar onto the sticky side of the ear slivers. Try not to get sugar on the exposed bottom edge. Stick the ears on the bunny's head. Add on the tail. I played with this and ended up with a pink top of the tail.
- Take and melt a small handful of chocolate chips (about 2 tablespoons) in the microwave for 10-15 seconds. Take the chocolate out at 10 seconds to see if you can stir the chips to melt them completely. Stirring it around causes the heat from the melted parts to melt the rest, which prevents you from burning the chocolate.
- Use a toothpick to paint on features. Have fun with this! I made some of mine look more like peeps and I gave others a little personality. You can use the leftover chocolate to coat marshmallow pieces you save behind.
- Chill the peeps in the freezer for a couple minutes to help the chocolate set. Cover the top of your container with plastic, or a lid if it fits, to keep the bunnies fresh. Enjoy!
Diamond Post Medal for All Time! 1,246 Posts
April 24, 20190 found this helpful
Cute little faces!Love the DIY Peeps :)
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.