Making Signature Quilts

Category Ideas
Create a keepsake quilt by including plain blocks where friends and family and write a sentiment and sign their name. This is a guide about making signature quilts.

Quilts for children and teens can be designed with light colored strips where friends and family can sign their names. It's called a signature quilt. I made one for my daughter-in-law for Christmas, now she already considers it an heirloom, as some of the relatives have passed on.

My grandmother kept my little play clothes and made a baby quilt for my hope chest. Now I'm going to be a great grandmother, and will continue to use it for every child when they are born in the family. I hope my children keep this tradition after I'm gone.

By Ardis

My sisters and I would like to have a memory quilt, lap blanket, or wall hanging made for our father. We are having a party for him in August and none of us know how to quilt. We do know we need to have the squares or muslin and fabric pens to take to the party. We have found a senior center in our town who will put it together for us once we have the pieces. What tips can anyone give us? We would like to avoid any common mistakes that could be made because of ignorance on our part. Thank You,

Sherry

Answers

I did this for my parents' 50th wedding anniversary party. I used gold pen on natural muslin. After the party, heat-set the ink by ironing over the muslin with a dry, hot iron.

I would be sure to make a frame over the muslin squares so that nobody signs too close to the edges. Cut a piece of cardboard with the center cut out, and lay it over the muslin so that there is a seam allowance of a half-inch or more on all sides. Then have guests sign within the center part.

If there are important people who won't be able to make it to the party, mail a square to them in a letter explaining what you are doing, and ask them to sign and return it. You can use water-soluble pen to mark the borders so the signature won't be lost within the seams.

YES IT IS A GOOD IDEA TO MARK A BORDER SO YOU DON'T LOSE PEOP'S MESSAGES. I ALSO LIKE IRONING ON FREEZER PAPER FOR A LITTLE EXTRA SUPPORT. ALSO FEELS IT MAKES WRITING A BIT EASIER. I HAVE A QUESTION. DO OU WASH THE QUILT SQUARES BEFORE GETTING THEM SIGNED. SANDI