Making Spinach Pasta Noodles
It's easy and delicious to add vitamin rich spinach to homemade pasta. This is a guide about making spinach pasta noodles
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Spinach pasta is a very tasty type of homemade pasta and a great way to sneak some vegetables in the kids. It's great with spaghetti sauce, cream based sauces like Alfredo sauce, pesto sauces, or our favorite, homemade shrimp scampi!
- 1 (10 oz) pkg. frozen chopped spinach, drained
- 1 Tbsp water
- 4 large eggs
- 4 cups sifted all purpose flour.
- Place thawed spinach in a towel and wring out all water until spinach feels very dry. Finely chop spinach using a food processor or blender (after the first time we made this, we started hand chopping the spinach to avoid extra dishes).
- Place spinach, water, eggs, and four in a mixer bowl. To avoid a flour explosion, we start with half the four and add the rest gradually. The recipe says to mix 30 seconds with a flat beater, but after the first time we made the recipe, we started mixing it by hand (just as easy, and again.. dishes!)
- If using a mixer, change to dough hook and knead 2 minutes. Remove from bowl and hand knead for 1-2 minutes.
- Divide dough into 8 pieces before processing with pasta sheet roller (we use the pasta maker attachment for our Kitchen Aid Mixer, but another type of pasta maker would work.). Start on lowest setting and working toward narrowest setting.
- Once pasta reaches desired thickness (for the Kitchen Aid attachment this is setting 4). Run sheets through wide pasta cutter attachment - or you can cut by hand.
- You can freeze or dry pasta for later, or you can immediately place cut pasta in a pot of 6 quarts boiling water, 2 tsp. salt, and 1 Tbsp. oil (optional). Add pasta gradually and cook until "al dente" or slightly firm (about 6 minutes). Pasta floats to the top of the water while cooking, so stir occasionally to keep it cooking evenly . Drain in a colander.
- Serve with desired sauce and toppings. Here we are enjoying a dinner of Shrimp Scampi over Spinach Pasta.
December 9, 20150 found this helpful
Fresh spinach noodles are a great way to sneak veggies in for picky eaters. Learn how we made them in this video.
In This Guide