Making a Comforter

Category Sewing
Puffy comforters are very cozy for cold nights. Buying one is an option although sometimes an expensive one. This is a guide about making a comforter.

Does anyone know how to make a "hugger" comforter from an existing comforter? My granddaughter has recently been given bunk beds and I think it would be easier for her to make the beds if she had hugger comforters (fitted on one end). They are very expensive to buy, but it seems to be that a regular comforter could be cut down and then made to fit on one end. I just can't seem to picture how to do it...

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Martha from VT

Answers

Best Answer

I have never done this but perhaps you could try this suggestion. Place the quilt on the bed and tuck in the bottom section as you would a sheet. At the corners fold up the edges to the top of the mattress and lay the top of the quilt over the fold. Pin in place and sew by machine.

Best Answer

Put the quilt on the bed upside down. Using large safety pins creat a "basted" seam along the bottom corner. Stitch and trim.

Best Answer

One suggestion - use a regular comforter and buy straps to hold it on the mattress. Bed Bath and Beyond is just one store that offers these - click on link:

http://www.bedb … 20599&RN=404

I would like to know how to make my own comforter for my king sized bed. I would like to make it for my husband in time for Christmas, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Answers

Best Answer

The easiest way would be to buy two sheets in the size you want the comforter. Sew them together and fill with an old comforter or batting. If you are using batting I recommend a polyester bat and then tie the comforter. Also make sure you get a bonded polyester bat

Best Answer

If you plan to sew the comforter/duvet on a sewing machine, I suggest you purchase a special "walking foot" for it. This will keep all the layers from slipping while you're sewing the project together.

I hope that helps.

I am hoping someone can answer this for me? I can't find any comforters I like. They are all quite old fashioned or just not 'me'. Can I buy a simple quilt like this: http://www.kmart.com.au/product/all-seasons-quilt---queen-bed/582899?cm_vc=PDPZ1 and then purchase any duvet cover and sew it on somehow, to become a comforter? Thanks!

Answers

An easy idea would be to just buy the quilt and slip it inside the duvet cover. Fasten with safety pins so you can wash in the future.