ContainersCrochet

Making a Doily into a Bowl

Now that I am redoing my bathroom, I have made some green and cream things for it. One was a cover for a silver (for now) hamper. I wasn't crazy about how it looked, and I missed the black and red balls of yarn in the red bowl. I made a new crochet bowl to hold yarn balls in my new colors.

Total Time: 1 Hour

Yield: 1

1. The white doily is one I made a couple years ago and wanted to do the same easy pattern. With your green yarn, chain 2 and make 12 half doubles in the first chain for 12. NOTE: No chain 2 counts as a stitch in this project. The 12th half double covers it up.
  2. For the next two rows, make 2 half doubles in each around for 24. Join and chain 2. Make 1 half double in the first stitch, and 2 in the next around for 36. Join and chain 2.
  3. Make a half double in the same stitch you are on, chain 2 and make 2 more half doubles in the same stitch. Do not chain between the shells. Skip 2 and repeat around. You should have 12 of these.
  4. Repeat this row again.
  5. Ad

6. For the final row, repeat the same shell stitch, but between each from the previous row, make a half double in the space. As you increase, you need to compensate for this.
  7. Either break off and change colors, or keep with the original. Now chain 4 and slip stitch in each point on the shell stitch. Keep going and it draws it up. Break off and work in tails. Fill with potpouri, yarn, soap balls, etc. N-JOY!!
  8. Bonus: If you have little doilies, you can do the same thing. This is a 4" machine made one, but it's a great example. You would need a size F hook and double strands of thread.