Making a Felt Purse
Making a purse from felt is easy even for the beginning crafter using this versatile colorful crafting material. This is a guide about making a felt purse.
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Rebecca Lanham0 found this helpful
May 18, 2006
A cute purse made from various leaf patterns. Can be made in different colors for different seasons!
- felt in fall colors (yellow, red, brown, orange, and green)
- black thread
- Velcro strips
- decorative multi-color thread
- Take two pieces of any fall colored felt. Cut them both in the shape of a leaf. (You can use a pattern, or just cut freely for a unique look.)
- Sew around the edge of the two felt leaves.
- Fold the top of the leaf shape down so there is a purse flap with a straight edge on top.
- Carefully cut through only one piece of the felt on the inside of the purse, directly under the purse flap.
- Braid the decorative multi-colored thread into a handle.
- Attach handle under the purse flap.
- Use the decorative thread for designs on the purse.
- Be creative with the decorative thread. I sewed over the black thread stitches and freely sewed a pattern on the purse flap.
- Cut out mini leaf shapes from the remaining fall colored felt.
- Attach the mini leaves to the purse, either with the black thread or the decorative thread.
- Attach a 1-2 inch piece of Velcro to the purse flap and the purse base, to be used as a clasp.
This purse creation will look different each time you make it. You can add as many extra leaves as you desire, beads, sequins, feathers, or any other decorative items you wish.
This craft is rather difficult and time consuming. It would work wonderfully as a project for a crafter's workshop.
May 21, 20060 found this helpful
I like that - very cute!
By Maggie. (Guest Post)
July 14, 20060 found this helpful
Help me out here. You've sewn the 2 leaves together, then you state cut thru only one leaf of the purse. How do you do that if they are sewn together already? I like it that is why I need to know. Thanks!
October 20, 20060 found this helpful
Could you give more details? I'm not clear on the instructions you gave .