Making a Mermaid Tail Purse
This craft will help you to make a cute mermaid tail inspired purse. Supplies, instructions, and photos follow.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
This mermaid purse was inspired by an image I found online. I used some scraps of shiny fabric, found a pattern online, and designed my own version of a mermaid purse using the idea from an image I found.
Total Time: 1 hour
- thread and needle
- 2 small jewelry rings
- 1 old necklace or other item to use for handle
- 1 button
- .5 yd fabric
- 4 in loop of ribbon
- Find a mermaid tail pattern online or freehand your own the size of the purse you would like to make.
- Cut out the fin and body from two complementary, contrasting fabrics or one fabric. Cut out lining for body. (Cut two of each.)
- Sew sides of lining fabric together and sides of outer fabric together along side seams.
- Cut out fins. Sew and turn right side out.
- Make a 4" loop out of ribbon or fabric, fold in half, and make a buttonhole.
- Sew lining, right sides together, to outer fabric at the top, inserting the fabric loop between the two side seams so when it is turned right side out is can be buttoned to opposite side of purse (at the top).
- Insert fins across bottom of body part of purse and sew across. Turn right side out.
- Hand sew the button on the opposite side of the top across from the loop and hand sew rings to side seams.
- Add handle by hooking chain onto rings.
- Sew decorative button to fin if desired.