Making a Mile High Apple Pie

Category Apple
The secret to this mile high apple pie is 4 pounds of seasoned apples piled high in the center of the pan. By following the instructions you too can bake up a gorgeous and delicious pie that does not drip all over the oven. Enjoy without the cleanup.

I have always been the pie maker in the family! My favorite one to make is the Mile High Apple Pie. It's my masterpiece! I will show you what I do with a few secret important things.

• 4 lb apples (I use only McIntosh), peeled, cut in quarters, cored, sliced
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 3 Tbsp flour
  • 1 Tbsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
  • dash of salt
  • 3 Tbsp butter, cut into small pieces
  • pie crusts*
  • a large pie dish
  • 1 beaten egg

*I buy ready made crust. To me, pie crust is pie crust no matter how it is made. It gives me more time to make what I do best!

1. After slicing all the apples into a bowl, add flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, butter pieces and salt, then stir gently to coat all the apples evenly.
  2. Roll out one crust larger than it is, gently lift from cutting board and place into the pie dish. Smoothing evenly over the bottom and over the edges.
  3. Put all the apples in the dish! Now here is one hint to making it a higher pie! You pile the apples in the center first. As you are putting more apples in, continue piling the middle. You will find a space around the apples and the crust. That's good! Your pie will not spill over, and you will have a high pie!
  4. Advertisement

5. Now, roll out the second crust as like you did the first, a little larger! Then carefully lift the crust and place it over the top of the pie. Making sure it is evenly draped enough from edge to edge.
  6. Now, with two fingers, pinch together the two crusts and do this all around the pie.
  7. Then take a knife and make two small slits in the top of the pie in three places around the center.
  8. Now, take the beaten egg (called an egg wash) with clean hands rub the egg over the whole pie! This will give the pie a beautiful golden shine when cooked.
  9. Advertisement

10. 6. Put into a 400 degree oven for 40-50 minutes or until golden brown!

Whatever recipes you post I save. You are terrific. A pie that is not mile high would cost at least $25 here in NY. With an already made pie crust this would not take a lot of time and would be far better. Thank you for posting

Thank you for your compliments! I thank you also for following me! That is quite a nice thought! Where it comes to pie, it is truly what is in the pie not what covers the pie! That is of course my opinion only!

Ive made homemade pie crust and I see no difference in taste. Pie crust is pie crust! Nothing different! It is up to everyones individual opinions! It gives me more time to focus on what I am making to go into my pie! Thank you so very much for your wonderful reply! Happy Holidays

Gracious! That's a gorgeous pie! I can't wait to try your recipe! Thank you for sharing such a masterpiece!

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Pies AppleJanuary 10, 2020
🍀
💘

Generated 2020-01-11 02:05:12 in 2 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️