Making a Nautical Themed Wreath
Whether decorating a beach house or your home a nautical themed wreath may be just what you need to complement your decor. This is a guide about making a nautical themed wreath
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Invite the beach right into your home with this nautical miles wreath. The twig ring is covered with hessian, which imitates the sandy shores of the beach. Make the wreath more personal by adding sea shells collected during your visit to the beach. Hang it on your front door to celebrate the last days of summer.
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: one wreath
- grapevine twig ring with a diameter of 9"
- natural Hessian (burlap), cut into 2.4" wide strips
- 3.5 in tall natural wooden cut out of a ship's steering wheel
- 2.4 in. tall flat sided scrapbooking natural terracotta sea horse
- one sea star
- selection of sea shells
- any suitable button
- black, yellow, green, purple, blue and maroon felt tip pens
- white acrylic paint
- hot glue gun and glue sticks
- quick-drying clear matt spray varnish
- standard scissors
- long nosed pliers
- Use the felt tip pens to color the sea horse. Blend the colors by using one pen on top of another to add shadows to certain parts of the sea horse. Highlight the centre of the eye and certain parts of the body with white paint. Spray with a layer of varnish and allow to dry.
- Add an uneven white acrylic wash to the top of the steering wheel and allow to dry. Use the pliers to snip off the metal shank at the back of the button and hot glue the button to the centre of the steering wheel. Spray with a layer of varnish and allow to dry.
- Add a drop of hot glue at the back of the twig ring and glue the one end of a hessian strip in place. Wrap the hessian strip tightly around the twig ring until the whole ring has been covered with hessian. (You may need two strips to cover it.) Hot glue the second end of the hessian in place at the back of the ring and cut off any remaining hessian.
- Cut a small strip of hessian. Fold it in half so that the two long sides will be on top of one another, and use hot glue to keep the strip from coming loose. Make a loop with this hessian strip and hot glue it to the top of the wreath.
- Hot glue the sea star, shells, steering wheel, and sea horse in place. Hang up, and enjoy!