Making a Nautical Themed Fridge Magnet
Silver Post Medal for All Time! 408 Posts
May 18, 2015
Make a nautical themed fridge magnet for a beach home and bring the seaside feel right into your kitchen. Use them as a fridge decoration that pops, or stick your child's drawings of your summer holiday to your fridge and create some special memories.
Total Time: one hour, including drying time
Yield: one fridge magnet
- hexagon-shaped natural wooden coaster
- selection of small sea shells; sea stars and pieces of broken coral
- 1.1 in 2mm thick plastic spacer
- two small square craft magnets
- powder blue acrylic paint
- white paper raffia
- red crochet thread
- natural twisted jute twine
- teaspoonful of sea sand
- Super Glue
- hot glue gun and glue sticks
- quick-drying craft glue (such as Bostik Clear)
- Heritage Spray-on contact glue
- quick-drying matt spray varnish
- Give the front and sides of the coaster an uneven wash with the powder blue paint and allow to dry thoroughly.
- Make the life buoy:
a. Cut a piece of paper raffia and glue the one end to the back of the spacer. Twist the raffia tightly around the spacer and secure the second end at the back again.
b. Add four red sections with the crochet thread. For the first one, cut a piece of red thread and twist the thread around the spacer five times. Pull the thread tight around the spacer and end it off with a knot at the back. Neatly cut off the loose ends of the thread. Repeat three more times, ensuring that the red parts of the buoy are evenly spaced.
- Super glue the two magnets to the back of the coaster and allow to dry thoroughly before turning the coaster over.
- Use hot glue to frame the coaster with the twine, and neatly cut off any protruding edges.
- Hot glue the life buoy and a few bigger shells in place.
- Add smaller shells and pieces of broken coral to complete the arrangement.
- Spray parts of the coaster with Heritage Spray-on contact glue and while the glue is still wet, sprinkle sand over the coaster. Allow to dry thoroughly.
- Spray the coaster with the spray varnish. Remember to work in a well-ventilated area when spraying the varnish. Allow to dry and add a second coat. Allow to dry and whoo-hoo! Your nautical coaster is ready to be used!
CommentsRead More Comments
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2021 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.