Making a No-Sew Tutu

Category Skirts
tutu montage
Making a tutu doesn't have to require much sewing. This guide is about making a no-sew tutu.

Take 2 feet of ribbon and 6 yards of tulle cut into 3 by 12 inch strips. Fold in half to 6 inches and loop around ribbon. These sell for $30, I made for $5.85.

By Amy from Wheaton, IL

I decided to make a no-sew tutu for our daughter to wear at our wedding. It was so simple to make and it was easy to customize it with the colors I wanted.

Total Time: 2 hours

Yield: 1

• 3 yd purple tulle
  • 3 yd turquoise tulle
  • 2 yd lime green glittery tulle
  • 1 pkg. 1/2 in. elastic
  • thread
  • scissors or rotary cutter

1. Using a ruler and rotary cutter, cut 2 in. and 4 in. strips of each color.
  2. Cut the tulle strips in half, or vary the lengths for dimension.
  3. Measure waist size and cut elastic to fit. You may want to make it about 1 in. smaller than waist size. I found that once the tulle was on the elastic had stretched a bit and was too big. Put ends of elastic together and stitch with a sewing machine or by hand. Test fit.
  4. Fold each strip in half and grab at the center, forming a loop.
  5. Loop the tulle over the elastic, with the loop coming down and under the elastic. Feed the loose ends through the loop and pull gently to secure onto the elastic.
  6. Continue attaching tulle strips to the elastic, alternating colors.
  7. Once all of the strips are attached you can either leave the ends as they are, or you can cut them into points for a pixie look. Adjust the strips so that all of the elastic is hidden and the tutu looks full.
  8. Ad

For under $4 you can make your little ballerina a super easy dress-up tutu. Here's how:

In the wedding area of your local craft store you can buy 6 inch x 25 yard rolls of tulle in various colors for $2.99 each and a 10 yard spool of 1/4 inch satin ribbon for under 50 cents. (I bought both in purple). You have a choice of either using elastic for a stretch waistband or having the tutu tie-on with a ribbon waistband. Measure the length from the child's waist to their knees and double that measurement. This is how long you'll want to cut the tulle. I used a box that fit that measurement and wrapped the tulle around and around the box until ALL the tulle was used up, then I cut it all at once (like making a pompom) I ended up with 28 - 30 pieces of Tulle.

Next, fold each piece of tulle in half so you know where the center is. Then tie the center of each piece on to your elastic or ribbon waistband with either a square or larks-head knot. After you have each piece of tulle on the waistband, cut your ribbon the same length as the tulle by wrapping the ribbon around the same box (as before) Then divide the amount of tulle pieces you have by the amount of ribbon pieces you have. Then tie one ribbon on the waistband every 2 or 3 tulles. Lastly: Tie the ribbon waistband into a bow and sew together or safety-pin an elastic waistband. Now you're done!

OPTIONAL IDEAS: I bought a 79 cent bouquet of bright pink flowers that had tiny blossoms. I took each blossom off, then cut the bottoms of the flowers flat and hot-glued each blossom (and a few smaller leaves) on to a ribbon here and there. Glitter-Glue or can also be added to the bottom of the tulle for a wonderful sparkling effect and sparkling "gems" can also be glued on. Iridescent ribbon can replace the satin ribbon for a "translucent-fairy" look!

COST: I bought the tulle with a coupon for $1.60, the 10 yard spool of ribbon on sale for 25 cents. The silk flowers for $79 cents. (I already had the elastic) So that's a grand total of $2.64 for a wonderful looking, fluffy tutu that would have cost over $20 in a children's store and it only took me half an hour to make! I made it last night and wish I had a picture to show, as it's much prettier than I can describe! My 5 year old granddaughter is already having the time of her life playing fairy-ballerina and dancing all around the house in it!

By Cyinda from Seattle

Videos

This short video shows you how to make your own no sew tutu. View the full project here: No-Sew Tutu