Making a No-Sew Tutu
Making a tutu doesn't have to require much sewing. This page is about making a no-sew tutu
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Take 2 feet of ribbon and 6 yards of tulle cut into 3 by 12 inch strips. Fold in half to 6 inches and loop around ribbon. These sell for $30, I made for $5.85.
Read More Comments
By Amy from Wheaton, IL
Read More Comments
I decided to make a no-sew tutu for our daughter to wear at our wedding. It was so simple to make and it was easy to customize it with the colors I wanted.
Total Time: 2 hours
- 3 yd purple tulle
- 3 yd turquoise tulle
- 2 yd lime green glittery tulle
- 1 pkg. 1/2 in. elastic
- scissors or rotary cutter
- Using a ruler and rotary cutter, cut 2 in. and 4 in. strips of each color.
- Cut the tulle strips in half, or vary the lengths for dimension.
- Measure waist size and cut elastic to fit. You may want to make it about 1 in. smaller than waist size. I found that once the tulle was on the elastic had stretched a bit and was too big. Put ends of elastic together and stitch with a sewing machine or by hand. Test fit.
- Fold each strip in half and grab at the center, forming a loop.
- Loop the tulle over the elastic, with the loop coming down and under the elastic. Feed the loose ends through the loop and pull gently to secure onto the elastic.
- Continue attaching tulle strips to the elastic, alternating colors.
- Once all of the strips are attached you can either leave the ends as they are, or you can cut them into points for a pixie look. Adjust the strips so that all of the elastic is hidden and the tutu looks full.
For under $4 you can make your little ballerina a super easy dress-up tutu. Here's how: In the wedding area of your local craft store you can buy 6 inch x 25 yard rolls of tulle in various colors for $2.99 each and a 10 yard spool of 1/4 inch satin ribbon for under 50 cents.Read More...
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.