Making a Plastic Soda Bottle Hanging Planter
Help give your plants an inexpensive new home and keep plastic bottles out of our landfills by making this easy hanging planter. This is a guide about making a plastic soda bottle hanging planter.
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
A hanging bottle pot is the perfect way to recycle an empty plastic bottle into something useful and creative! Not only does it prevent bottles from ending up in garbage cans, it is also an easy DIY project that can help you hang plants all around your house. Moreover, it takes less than 15-minutes to convert an ordinary bottle into a hanging plant container!
Reduce, Reuse and Recycle.
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 empty plastic bottle
- 1 permanent marker
- 1 blade/craft knife/scissors
- Using a permanent marker, draw an outline of two windows that you will be cutting on the bottle to provide adequate ventilation for the plant.
- Cut out two separate windows on opposite sides of the bottle, as shown in the pictures. Use a blade to cut the plastic. (I would advise blades over scissors as blades give a neater look.)
- Make 4 holes near the mouth of the bottle using a blade, compass or anything pointy! Now pass your rope through these holes to make two loops using which we'll hang the plant bottle container.
- You've finished cutting the plastic and adding your rope. Fill the bottle with mud and plant any plant that you desire. I've planted a moneyplant which grow really well in hanging plant containers!
Water your plant and you're done! Now simply hang this wherever you want. I'll update this post later with a picture of my hanging pot when my moneyplant has fully grown.
You can even paint the base of this hanging bottle pot using acrylic colours to personalise it.
August 27, 20152 found this helpful
This eco-friendly soda bottle hanging planter is simple to make and is a cute way to hang plants from your front porch. Check out this video for the step by step instructions.