Making a Quilt from Clothing

My mother had a few dresses she wore a lot. After she passed away, I got the idea to make a quilt top using the clothes, but I wanted to keep the pieces large. I was thinking of maybe cutting a dress long ways down a seam so you could see the buttons. Maybe put her apron in. The problem is I have never quilted, so I don't know if a quilt of this type is possible.

By JoAnn

It is possible, and what a lovely way to keep your mum's memory alive! You can use her blouses or perhaps a lovely bodice (top part of a dress) to make a coordinated pillow (or first project to learn quilting without the daunting prospect of a entire bed quilt).

See the following link for a great quilting site with numerous beginner quilter pages, and a fantastic forum to ask for special help:

quilting.about.com/

I hope when your project is finished you will post a picture.

Wonderful idea!!! A local quilting shop or the Quilt Guild can help you along with this!!

Great idea, don't get discouraged, and you can accomplish this project!!!

Crafts Quilting IdeasJanuary 8, 2014
🍀
💘