Making a Slipcover

Category How To
To give a piece of furniture an extended life or to cover chairs for a special event, you may want to make some slip covers. This is a guide about making a slipcover.

I'm wanting to make a slipcover for a barrel chair (like the ones popular in 60s and 70s). Does anyone have a pattern they would share or info on where I could find one? Any input that would be helpful. I have been unsuccessful in finding anything of help on the net.

Thanks bunches.

By Karen from MO

Answers

Best Answer

I was going to say; I reupholstered a rocking chair years ago and it was relatively easy, so you might consider doing that. Good luck!

Money is very tight for us as it is for many others in this economy. I would like to make my own slipcover for my couch. Can someone help?

By Catharine

Answers

Best Answer

Use a bedspread or a large sheet or shop at Good Will & other Thrift stores, good luck.

I want to sew a slipcover for the wooden chair to my makeup table. It has a normal size back. I would like the ruffled skirt to be to the floor and have the ties in the back to make a big bow (like country cottage style I've seen in magazines). Has anyone made one of these or could recommend a pattern that they liked. I'm not sure how to attach the skirt to the seat and back.

Answers

Best Answer

I wanted to do the same thing with an old kitchen chair that I wanted to use with my vanity table. I bought one of those dining room chair slipcovers that I got on sale for about $9 in Bed, Bath & Beyond in a gold satin fabric. I needed to adjust the back just a little to fit the chair, so this was the only sewing on it I had to do. The length is down to the floor and it has the big bow on the back that you want. It looked so good I took another old kitchen chair and did the same thing to put with my sewing table. Didn't cost much and looks great.

I need the cost to make a slipcover for a cushion that is 24.5" x 25.5" and 5" thick? Please respond as soon as possible.
Thank you,
Mary

Answers

I don't quite understand the question.....its like 'how long is a piece of string! The cost will depend on the type of material you use and the widths it comes in. First find the material you want and ask what width it is. To make the cushion cover you would need to have 2 squares of approximately 2 foot and 4 strips of 5 inches x 2 foot. Don't forget to add seam allowances on all pieces and extra for your chosen method of closing the cover. When you know the width of your material do a rough diagram on a scrap of paper of the material and draw in the component parts of your cover. You can then work out the amount of material you need. For example if the material is very wide the pieces may all fit along in a row so you would only need a yard or less. If they had to be arranged vertically to fit on the material you would need more. When you discover this figure multiply it by the price per yard and you have the cost.

Regards

Jo