Making a String Basket
Using thread from raveled fabric or some purchased especially for the project you can make a truly unique basket. This is a page about making a string basket
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
I was making a cloth to put on top of my son's end table in the colors to match his room and the fabric raveled easily so I had a whole pile of these threads from the project. I thought "there must be something I can do with these".
Approximate Time: 10 min plus drying time
- various colors strings
- white glue
- cereal bowl
- plastic wrap
- After unraveling the fabric, take the cereal bowl and turn upside down.
- Cover it in plastic wrap (this is so the string will remove easily from the bowl).
- Then, mix white glue (approximately 1/4 cup but it varies with the size you are making) with a teaspoon or so of water.
- Lay your strings over the bowl that was covered with plastic wrap.
- Pour glue mixture over the string using your fingers to spread it evenly. Make sure to saturate the string.
- Let dry at least overnight.
- When completely dry, it lifts right off the plastic wrap and bowl.
- You may have to trim it in a few places if it is unevenly shaped.
Note: you could probably use cotton yarn and it would work well too.
By Elaine from Belle Plaine, IA
CommentsRead More Comments
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.