Making a Table Runner

Category Decorations
A table runner is a nice addition to setting a festive or formal table. They can be made in so many ways, from no sew to crochet. This is a guide about making a table runner.

This table runner, made out of shelf liner, makes a decorative addition to your holiday table.

Materials:

Directions:

1. Cut the shelving liner as straight as possible to the size needed for your table.
  2. Lay the shelving liner on drop cloth/cardboard and spray paint until completely covered, let dry. You only need to spray paint it on one side.
  3. Ad

4. Spray with clear varnish to seal the gold paint. Let dry.
  5. When completely dry, turn the shelving liner over measure in about four inches from each end and cut fringe as wide as desired on each side (mine was 1/4 inch wide).
  6. Ad

7. Trace your shapes onto the back of the self liner. If you have a center piece, you can leave a place in the middle without cut outs.
  8. Cut the shapes out, turn over and place on your table.
  9. Ad

10. You can use the shapes that you cut out as ornaments, put names on them and use as table name tags, gift tags etc.

Make a quick, inexpensive, but decorative table runner from colorful bandannas. This is a guide about how to make bandanna table runners.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making a quilted table runner. Simple or more complex, a beautiful quilted table runner can make even an everyday meal a festive occasion.

I have 20 60 in. round tables that I would like to have runners for. I would like to make them myself unless I could find them cheaper to buy. My dilemma is how much material is needed and where online is the best site to purchase it. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Winkie from NJ

Answers

http://www.weav  ml/rfts-doc.html

Check this site out.

I came across a really great site called Measure4Measure.com. It has so many ways to calculate almost everything. Scroll down almost to the bottom of the page where it says yardage calculating. It even shows you how your name looks translated into Japanese. I thought that was kinda cool. It has every calendar calculation imaginable. Have fun just looking at all the things this site has to offer. ~Janette~

I can't help you on how much you need but at Fabric.com they have lots of clearance material really really reasonable.

Simple enough answer, after you ask yourself a few questions. How wide do you want the runners to be? Are they to be all one fabric or are you planning to use some kind of pieced pattern on them? Do you want them to go completely across the tables, hang over the edge, or not go across the tables completely.

Most fabric stores sell flat fold fabrics inexpensively and they are usually in 56" widths; most are decorator fabrics. Regular decorator fabric also comes in 56" widths.

If you don't have the runners go across the tables completety, you can get three 10" runners per yard of fabric. You just divide 36" by the width of the runner you would like to have to get how many you can get from a one yard cut. The length is a given (about 54" after you put in hems) if you use the decorator fabrics.

Many placemats are only 12" wide so to give you an idea of how that would look, put one on a table and see what you think of that width. Would you like it larger or smaller?

If you want the runners to hang over the edges, you figure 20 tables times the length you want the runner. Then divide that by the number of runners you can get from the fabric width. Let's say you have a 5" overhang on each edge, that would make the length of the runner 70" plus 1 1/2" for the hems or 71 1/2". So 20 x 71.5 = 1430" or approximately 40 yds of fabric. BUT you divide that by the number of runners you can get from the width of the fabric. With decorator fabric that would be 56". At 13 1/2" (12" finished width of the runner plus 1 1/2" for hems) per runner; that would give you enough fabric to do four runners. Now divide the 40 yds of fabric by 4 and you will need 10 yds of fabric.

Does that help? Or am I too late?

No you're not to late thanks.

How wide should a runner be for a 60 inch round table?

By June E. from Bremerton, WA

Answers

If you want a the fabric not to fall in the sitters laps, about 72" is good. This give you just 6" from the top of the table to their laps. A runner might be longer though, if you put it at a diagonal where no one is sitting, you can have it longer. The above measurements are more for a table cloth. Good luck.

I have two table cloths that I would like to piece into a double-sided table runner (they are too short for my table). I am a seriously novice sewer, so I am not sure how to sew the edges together to make it neat, or if I should use a binding like cord. Also, because of the two fabrics, should I put quilt batting inside to retain shape? One side will be "visa" fabric in ivory, and the other is a cotton (india) print; rust color with ivory reindeer. I may put a floral embroidery patch (not handmade!) on the ivory side to use during non-holiday months or in spring/summer.

Thanks!
camo_angels from Willamina, OR

Answers

By carla bledsoe (Guest Post)

i've not worked much with visa but i've always heard you shouldnt sew two different types of material together for washing and shrinking differences.
that said, if you still want to try it, i would use a blanket binding or tape to finish the edges. if you are comfortable trying the edging stiches on the sewing machine they look nice too.