Making a Toilet Planter

You can easily recycle an old toilet into an artsy garden planter. This is a page about making a toilet planter.

This is a picture of a commode that I use as a planter with lovely impatiens planted in it. I think it's very pretty! The commode was about to be thrown away so my husband got it for free from the literacy council here in town. They had just had some remodeling done and were happy to get it out of their way.

By Karen Lawson from Bolivar, TN

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

A good use for an old toilet and a good yard art! Arizona is closing almost all of the rest areas. My husband acquired this toilet so we made good use of it!! He finally got his "Golden Throne".

By KIMBERLY from Apache Junction AZ

Use Toilet as Yard Art

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 6

We are replacing a leaking toilet. I would like some suggestions as to how to "recycle" the old, but clean and stain free, toilet into my garden. I can't make drainage holes in the tank without breaking it. What kinds of plants would you guys recommend that won't drown during our heavy rain storms? I am "creating" a cute outhouse theme corner with a scarecrow and an old wooden door.

By Dena Roberts from Winnipeg, Canada

Feedback:

Toilet Planter

It should already have drainage holes in the tank top & bottom (where the water comes in & goes out).

If it has no holes (which I kinda doubt) it's very, very hard to drill through glazed ceramics. (I'm a potter by trade). You'd need a diamond bit & water to cool it. The bit will slip around! I wouldn't even attempt it myself. Sorry. You could take it to a glass or mirror shop & have them drill it for you.

Also, in Canada it my break from freezing in the winter. I'd be best to cover it in the fall before it freezes. (07/28/2009)

By Cyinda

Toilet Planter

I am having the same problem as one of the older posts. The tank is draining, but the bowl is filling up and staying full! As of now, I have marigolds in the tank, with a small sign that reads, "Stop and smell the roses", and miniature poppies in the bowl, with a small sign that reads, "Welcome to our funny farm" with a scarecrow leaning against the wall beside the "commode" and an old satellite dish connected to an old T.V. by a rope, in front of the "commode". It looks cute and funny, and my back door friends also love it, but I think the bowl is too wet for the poppies. Anyone know of any plants that don't mind having their feet wet all the time? (07/28/2009)

By Dena Roberts

Anything can be yard art!

By Laura from Sacramento, CA

Feedback:

Garden: Toilet Planter

That is so nice! I once had a pink toilet with the tank still intact (from a relative that redid a 70's bathroom), and planted it with pink and purple toned plants. The only problem I had with it was that it tended to dry out faster than other plant holders, I am guessing because of all of the drainage holes, and I forgot to put rocks or gravel in the bottom first!
Yours looks great! (08/05/2009)

By Frances Adams

Garden: Toilet Planter

I am not a fan of toilet planters.
(09/12/2009)

By Annie Rios Hill

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I put our old toilet out to plant stuff in this summer (nobody wants it). But I noticed after the 3 days of hard rain the toilet part is half full of water!

how can I make sure it drains somehow?

Home and Garden Gardening Creative PlantersMarch 28, 2013
🌻
📓
😷
🐛
😎
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Making-a-Toilet-Planter.html