Making a Valentine's Day Candy Jar
This dimensionally decorated Valentine's Day jar is an excellent project for the recycle crafter. Save up those empty food jars and then refer to the project below to make a variety of them to give as gifts.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
In just a few weeks Valentine's Day will be here and everyone is always looking for a special gift to give to a loved one. Here is a great idea to make your own gift this year. Fill the jar with assorted candy and cookies and give it to your favorite Valentine. This is a great project and you can custom decorate your candy jar anyway you want. Write a special message in the heart or add other decorations to the jar. Be creative and have fun making your own candy jars this year for Valentine's Day.
Total Time: 6 to 8 hours
Yield: 1 candy jar
- large candy jar or a recycled glass jar
- white acrylic paint
- red acrylic paint
- green raffia
- neon green glitter glue
- wood glue
- hot glue gun and glue sticks
- silk flower decorations
- silver glitter gel
- Wash and clean your candy jar first. You can normally find these at any Dollar store. If you cannot find one, use a large recycled jar to make this project. You can even use a Mason jar if you want.
- Paint the first layer of the jar with white acrylic paint. This helps the second layer of paint stick to the jar. Allow the jar to dry before applying the second coat of paint.
- Mix a little of the red paint in with your white paint to make pink and apply the paint to the jar. Allow this to dry.
- Now draw your heart on the front of the jar. You can cut out the heart using paper and just trace it on the front of the jar.
- Paint the inside of the heart with a good cost of wood glue.
- Add the rice to the glue and press down so the rice sticks in the glue. Hold the jar up ad shake off the excess rice. Allow the glue to dry.
- Paint the heart with red paint and allow the paint to dry.
- Add a coat of silver glitter gel to the outside of the jar. Allow this to dry.
- Around the outside of the heart take your green neon glitter glue and trace around the heart. Allow this to dry.
- Apply a coat of varnish to the jar and allow this to dry.
- Now use your hot glue gun and glue the green raffia around the neck of the jar and glue your other decorations in place. Your jar is finished and ready to be used.
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.