Making an "I Like You Elote" Greeting Card

Category Cards
These cards are fun to give for Valentine's Day, Cinco de Mayo, or anytime. You will need craft paper, glitter, cord, scissors, a pen and a few other supplies to design your image of elote or Mexican street corn. Get creative and watch the recipients smile and perhaps get hungry.

Elote is Mexican street corn that is absolutely scrumptious! It's skewered, grilled, then topped with a creamy sauce, chili powder, cheese, and cilantro. I made a bunch of these corn cards to give to my friends who are huge Elote fanatics, and they were a hit! These are easy to make, using just paper, glitter, and cord. Give them out for Valentine's Day, Cinco de Mayo, or just because! It's a funny way to say, "I like you a lot!" :)

Total Time: 1 hour

Yield: 1 card

• craft paper (red, dark red, yellow, brown, green, and white)
  • pencil
  • pen
  • scissors
  • glue
  • white braided cord or yarn
  • red glitter
  • tweezers

1. Cut out a piece of red paper as the base of your card.
  2. Advertisement

3. On the yellow paper, lightly draw the outline of an ear of corn.
  4. Starting with the middle row, in black ink, begin drawing corn kernels going all the way across.
  5. Work your way out, staggering the kernels. Cut the ear of corn out right outside the lines.
  6. Draw the end of a skewer onto the brown paper. Cut it out right outside the lines.
  7. Advertisement

8. Glue the skewer and the ear of corn onto the card.
  9. To make the drizzled cream sauce, add sections of wavy glue onto the corn, then push the white cord into the glue. Hold in place for a bit, then continue with the rest.
  10. Allow to dry. If the cord is a bit heavy or wants to move, place something heavy on top for a few minutes.
  11. Dab a bit of glue to various areas of the corn and cord, then sprinkle with glitter. Tap off the excess.
  12. Advertisement

13. To make chopped cilantro, draw little random shapes onto the green paper. Cut them out right outside the lines.
  14. Dab some glue around the corn, then use tweezers to lift the cilantro pieces onto the glue.
  15. Write your message out on a piece of white paper. Cut out.
  16. Glue the message pieces under the corn, then add a couple strips of dark red paper to the bottom as an accent.
  17. Advertisement

Totally cute!

Atossa, every time I see this card, it makes me think of the Die Antwoord song, "I fink u freeky" and I smile a little bit.

I know that most of the ThriftyFunners wouldn't know or enjoy this song so no one should look it up unless you like South African Hip Hop. ;)

Thanks Michelle!!

OH MY GOODNESS JESS!!! :D I love Die Antwoord!!! My hubs introduced me to them, and with that song in particular.

Hahaha I think all TF should check it out just for the experience. Thanks for the smile!

Crafts Paper CardsFebruary 29, 2020
🍀
🌻
🐰