Mildew on Shower

I'd love to know how you can rid a bathroom shower once and for all of mildew problems. After its gone I'd like to know what to put on the shower wall that will prevent its coming back. SURELY there's a product for this.

MamawKC

Answers:

Rainx

I would suggest Rainx, of course After the walls are completely clean! It;s made for cars, but we cleaning ladies use it in the showers, also! Lasts for months! Don't put it on the floor, you might slip and fall.(04/17/2005)

By Rene'

Squeegee

You can't completely prevent mildew but you can greatly reduce it by using a squeegee after every shower! We have been doing this for about a year now and I am thrilled with how this easy, non toxic method keeps our shower looking great. Of course we have to clean it regularly, but it's been much easier. (04/18/2005)

By Mary

The Works

Use the product "The Works" to remove the mildew. If it's not available in your area try a spray bottle with 1/2 bleach and 1/2 hot water. Make sure the window is open and you leave the room for fresh air. After it's clean use Turtle wax on the walls. The best defense is to clean the walls weekly so the mildew doesn't come back. It's a pain but well worth it. (04/18/2005)

By klr2080

Bleach and Water

You could also try a bleach/water mix in an old spray bottle. For tough mildew, I would recommend letting it sit for a minute or two, or maybe even a stronger concentration of bleach. Just make sure the area is properly ventilated. (04/19/2005)

By Sarah

Vinegar

Just mist the shower walls w/ white vinegar after each shower, this non-toxic method will help w/ mildew control, once the initial problem has been taken care of. To rid the mildew: Spray strong bleach & water solution on the shower walls, let sit for at least 5 min., light scrub, then rinse --will get rid of the problem. (might not have to scrub, but do rinse as bleach should not remain on surfaces). (04/21/2005)

By kidsNclutter

Vinegar and Rubbing Alcohol

I use 3/4 parts white vinegar and 1/4 part rubbing alcohol. Spray on and let sit, then scrub of wipe off. For daily cleaning to prevent mildew from forming, mix 1/4 of this mixture with 3/4 water in spray bottle. (08/06/2006)

By Vivi Shaffer