Fireplaces and StovesHome Improvement

Modernizing a Brick Fireplace

Any thoughts on how I could modernization my fireplace without replacing the insert? Should I spray paint the bricks a certain color, or is it possible to somehow tile over them? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

It is possible to paint over. Check out these ideas from HGTV www.hgtv.com/.../ways-to-refresh-your-fireplace-on...

Thank you for the ideas. All of those bricks have a flat surface and would be easy to paint, but mine are more jagged / rough, which would be difficult to tackle with a paint bush. Would I spray paint instead?? Has anyone had any experience doing this? If so, could you offer any tips / suggestions?

Could also simply build a wood box to cover the entire brick surface and paint, tile etc. the box. A friend did this with a tile surface; I thought it was easy, effective and modern.

Love this idea! Does anyone know of any good DIY sites they could share that shows step by step how to accomplish this?

Surprisingly I can't find much on google...I must not be using the best search words. Thanks!

Looks like a very tall narrow fireplace so maybe just adding a modern mantel and some tall objects would make a big change. Adding a nice large picture or even a mirror if you need the look of more space would make a big difference.
If you really want to change the color it seems there are several ways to do this. The jagged uneven brick wall would be more difficult but not impossible. Several sites recommend using a thick roller and a brush but only you can tell if that would work. Of course, you can always buy or rent a paint sprayer. Maybe check the paint area and ask for help at your local Lowe's or Home Depot.

I would suggest you take a look at all the possibilities of how to change the looks on Google and you may find something to your liking.

www.google.com/search?q=Modernizing+a+rough+Brick...

I found this site very interesting in a more DIY method and it seems feasible so just check this site:

www.thegirlcreative.com/.../

This is a good link on "how to" even if you have to change the method.

homeguides.sfgate.com/paint-interior-brick-50760.html

Thank you so much for all the great links. I am thinking I may rent a sprayer and give this a try. If it doesn't end up looking great, I could always use the wooden box method as suggested above. Regardless of the approach, I will definitely add a mantel and some object as suggested. Thank you!

Maybe you can give us an update when you finish your project. This may give others encouragement to try something different.