Mushroom Pepper Beef Bolognese

This is a joint recipe from my mother-in-law and myself. When I visit her in England, I always prefer to eat her foods over going out. Thankfully, we make a great team in the kitchen! We made this bolognese after going hiking and it really hit the spot. Even though it's super meaty, it's got loads of veggies and herbs, so it's quite refreshing.

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 45 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour

Yield: 6 servings

1. Sautee the pepper and onions in a bit of oil in large skillet over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and garlic and cook an additional 3 minutes.
  2. Add ground beef to the pan and cook until mostly browned. Lower heat and continue to cook until fully browned. Cooking on low heat allows the flavours to meld together nicely.
  3. Add tomato paste to the pan and stir well, allowing to cook a few minutes.
  4. Add oregano and chili flakes and cook for a few minutes, stirring constantly.
  5. Add pasta sauce and mix well. Raise heat and bring until it's bubbling. Every bolognese batch is different, so if it's a bit dry, you can add a touch of water or wine at this point. We didn't need to.
  6. Begin cooking the spaghetti to package directions. Tear the basil leaves by hand and drop into the sauce. Cook another 8 minutes or so.
  7. Stir in the Parmesan shavings. Serve on top of a bed of spaghetti, sprinkling the top with more cheese.

I hide a lot of veggies in my bolognese too. Anything like celery or zucchini works and if grated you hardly notice them. Brown lentils are another great trick for making it healthier and cheaper.

I do love lentils in my bolognese! Mum used to try to hide them in our sauces but I could easily find them and adored them :)

Food and Recipes Recipes PastasJune 11, 2019
🎄
🎉

Generated 2019-12-25 21:05:23 in 2 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️

PastasRecipes