Natural Remedies for Silverfish

How can I get rid of Silverfish naturally?

Grace from New York

Answers:

Natural Remedies for Silverfish

I have not tried this but it was recommended by a friend.

Silverfish Bait
Silverfish seek out food sources that are high in starch -- particularly books, magazines, and wallpaper. They'll also munch on flour and cereal, starched clothing, and some synthetic fabrics. Reducing paper and properly storing clothes and pantry items will make your home less appetizing for them.

1 cup oatmeal, ground to flour in a blender
1/2 tsp. white sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. powered boric acid

Mix all ingredients well and put a teaspoonful in a couple of shallow containers placed near hiding spots. Cover bait with crumpled pieces of paper. The silverfish will eat the bait along with the paper and then die. Make sure to wash your hands thoroughly after mixing. This is poisonous -- keep the bait away from children and pets.

(01/21/2008)

By Susan

Natural Remedies for Silverfish

Diatomaceous earth. You should be able to buy it at any garden center. (01/21/2008)

By Maryeileen

Natural Remedies for Silverfish

For the DE suggestion, do you just sprinkle some around inside cabinets? Or set out in a shallow bowl? Thanks for the great idea! (01/23/2008)

By Laura

Natural Remedies for Silverfish

DE should be sprinkled in out-of-the-way places, so if your cabinets are used for dishes, I would not suggest putting it there. Do a search on the internet for Diatomaceous earth for possible solutions. (01/24/2008)

By Maryeileen

Natural Remedies for Silverfish

My grandmother taught me. The best "repellent" is cucumber peelings! Use a knife (not a potato peeler) so you make the "strips" of peeling a little thicker. Then put 2 or more strips in each cabinet section, or on closet floors. In a basement you can lay a strip every couple of feet. Once the strips dry up, replace them if you still have the bugs.

Another thing I found out, to keep silverfish from ever coming into your house, be careful of which plants you have near your home. Hollyhocks and "bridal wreath" are major attractions for silverfish. (01/26/2008)

By xsnos2