New Dentures Don't Fit Properly

I just got my 2nd pair of upper dentures, but there is only 12 teeth on it and my previous ones there were 14. My problem is I've had them realigned 3 times. But when eating I keep biting the back of my tongue.

I asked why there was only 12 teeth and the dentist wasn't sure why, but I'm thinking this may be the reason for my problem. Also I now have a noticeable lisp which is embarrassing. What can be done to correct this? Can I request them to make them right?

By MC

Best Answer

Did you pay for the new dentures? Not that it matters, but sometimes the dentist's staff will be less diligent - clearly the lab made a mistake and your dentist should be fixing the error!

No-one should put up with faulty dentures, especially ones that have come back minus two teeth and with the added 'bonus' of making you lisp. Telephone to the office and tell them you are extremely distressed, and need the problem fixed 'yesterday'.

I had a similar problem (lisp) and it wasn't until I reminded the dentist and staff I'd paid for those out of my pocket and wasn't satisfied to have a lisp at my age that they fixed the upper plate. He had the nerve to say 'Oh sorry, I thought you were one of the pay-scale patients'. Oh brother did I let him have it for that one - No-one should be made to accept poor dentistry based on low-scale payments!

I moved countries, I now live in the UK. Truthfully it's the same here, and if my British dentist ever pulls that less-than-his-best on me, I'll pitch a major fit!

I got new dentures almost 3 months ago; a week later, an adjustment was made as I couldn't talk properly. However, it made little difference as I still have a lisp, whistle and slurred speech, which is embarrassing to say the least. I am not imagining it, as I can tell from the 'weird' looks people give me.

Otherwise, they are okay; not excellent as I'd hoped but if the speech was clear, I'd be ecstatic. I am going back, and praying they make the correct adjustment, but I think the top denture needs 'remaking'.

Very interesting. I would be considered "LOW SCALE PATIENT". I have had constant pain with my lowers even thought I went back 3 times for adjustment. I have had my dentures 5 years, I guess I will have to live with what my "poor status" has reaped. Thank you for your insight. Good luck to you...

Technicians frequently make blunders! Return them pronto!!

That makes me terribly sad that that dentist doesn't take any more pride in his work than that. And the "pay scale" patients are reportedly paying "all they can", so for them it's still a pretty big sacrifice.

So all I can say is; with an attitude like that, I almost pity him....bet he leads a fairly miserable life. Taking no real pride in the craft he has dedicated his professional life to... just sayin'.